• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pseudo Marks?

AsYouLIkeSilver

I bought a bowl, which looks like a waste bowl, and the markings are perplexing.  The bowl is definitely silver.  The first thing that jumps out at me is the date letter mark of J, which is not on the charts.  The next is the rampant lion facing right, not left.  Anyone has any opinions/knowledge on the marks?

Hallmarks.jpg

Edited by AsYouLIkeSilver
Forgot photo

Fuller White, London. Is it definitely a J or potentially an F? The lion is facing left and is more or less in line with the maker's mark and town mark, if the date letter is oriented the same way rather than upside down to make it a J which isn't used as a date stamp. 

These marks are old - the leopard wears a crown (London Assay Office) and Fuller White was making silver in the 1700's.
This collection of marks is given as being from 1752. i don't have time to look now but this is the sort of time period to look at. The date letter looks like J which hasn't been used for a long time but i don't know about the situation as early as this piece is. Certainly not 'pseudo marks'.

F.W into a shaped rectangular contour mark, Fuller White, London 1752

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

@Arganto - yes indeed - it isn't an upside down J - it could explain why the J is not used b/c in the early hallmarks it could be confused - a theory i just made up now.

This is an archaic form of s - as shown here.

Why is there an sz in Austrian German instead of ß? - Quora

i discovered something new out of this - in the pre-decimal era prices would be written like this 7/11 - this was seven shillings and eleven pence. The / is not an oblique separating the numbers it is an old s for shilling. 

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

15 minutes ago, Arganto said:

The more you know! That's interesting 

i suspect in 1753 when prices were written people would put 1 ſ 3 - they knew the ſ was an 's' for shilling. By the time we get to 1953, people had long forgotten the old form of s and as it was written it evolved from ſ into a /  because people just didn't realise what it really (had) meant.

i can vaguely remember pre decimal prices as a child - i just asked someone else who lived during that period and they didn't realise either.  Amazing, i love finding out something new.

Edited by sixgun

2 hours ago, Arganto said:

Fuller White, London. Is it definitely a J or potentially an F? The lion is facing left and is more or less in line with the maker's mark and town mark, if the date letter is oriented the same way rather than upside down to make it a J which isn't used as a date stamp. 

1 hour ago, sixgun said:

These marks are old - the leopard wears a crown (London Assay Office) and Fuller White was making silver in the 1700's.
This collection of marks is given as being from 1752. i don't have time to look now but this is the sort of time period to look at. The date letter looks like J which hasn't been used for a long time but i don't know about the situation as early as this piece is. Certainly not 'pseudo marks'.

F.W into a shaped rectangular contour mark, Fuller White, London 1752

42 minutes ago, sixgun said:

@Arganto - yes indeed - it isn't an upside down J - it could explain why the J is not used b/c in the early hallmarks it could be confused - a theory i just made up now.

This is an archaic form of s - as shown here.

Why is there an sz in Austrian German instead of ß? - Quora

i discovered something new out of this - in the pre-decimal era prices would be written like this 7/11 - this was seven shillings and eleven pence. The / is not an oblique separating the numbers it is an old s for shilling. 

38 minutes ago, Arganto said:

The more you know! That's interesting 

23 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i suspect in 1753 when prices were written people would put 1 ſ 3 - they knew the ſ was an 's' for shilling. By the time we get to 1953, people had long forgotten the old form of s and as it was written it evolved from ſ into a /  because people just didn't realise what it really (had) meant.

i can vaguely remember pre decimal prices as a child - i just asked someone else who lived during that period and they didn't realise either.  Amazing, i love finding out something new.

Excellent, guys!🤗  A top A+++++ team work! I love it!

@AsYouLIkeSilver, can you share more pictures, please?

51 minutes ago, sixgun said:

That's a good theory, but...

Did you know the same / separator was almost used between pounds and shillings, hence 5/10/6 for £5.10s6d?

😎

Chards

40 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's a good theory, but...

Did you know the same / separator was almost used between pounds and shillings, hence 5/10/6 for £5.10s6d?

😎

Before 1971 money was divided into:

pounds (£ or l )

shillings (s. or /-) and

pennies (d.)

http://projectbritain.com/moneyold.htm

So the £ symbol was | whist the shilling was /-
The /- was simplified to / when it was followed by the pence.
i take it the | is derived from L for libra.