• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello from new member

nr73

Hi everyone. New member, no stack as yet but it's something I've had an interest in for a while just haven't been able to decide how to get started.

I'm interested in ounces and accumulating some weight in small but regular batches rather than collecting coins for collectability.  My rationale is that I'm a bit of a spendaholic on a small scale, buying small items on eBay and amazon each month to satisfy my appetite. I may as well buy something that's got value, and silver really appeals to my inner pirate.  I would say bars appeal more than coins but despite having read that bars typically sell for less I am finding quite the opposite when looking at bullion sites in the UK.  Therefore my plan is to just start small and buy a few silver eagles, and when I get 10 start buying 10 of something else etc.

Having said that, there are some random items that really appeal to me. I like the 5oz Tombstone nuggets, the stacking bars, the 2oz round stackers, and the 10oz Kookaburras but looking at the forum it does seem I'd be paying a premium for these.

Any advice welcome!

Welcome my friend! :)

I'd advise you to get some normal 1oz coins (such as Eagles as you were saying) to build up your stack, and once you've got a good amount of those get some other types, and maybe some numismatic stuff if you want to mix it up a little bit ^^. 

I do think that it's a really good idea to buy some silver rather than wasting it on other stuff, it's fun too :)

See you around ^^

Hello and welcome!

Many of us buy from Europe at the low VAT rate and most bars do not qualify for that.

Such as https://www.silver-to-go.com/en/silver-coins/  and http://goldsilver.be/en/ but you'd need to buy approx. 6 or 7 coins to make the postage worthwhile.

There is a trade section here which you can find single coins.

Also https://www.silvertrader.uk/ is quite fairly priced for a seller in the UK.

Welcome aboard, a warning it is very addictive this pirate lark.Once you start buying silver you think were is your next ounce comming from and i wont buy that, that is the same as an ounce of silver. I would rather buy an eagle than my yearly subscription to the green waste wheely bin i'l just chuck it over the hedge be OK.:blink:

Morning and welcome.

+1 for the above dealers recommended by HH and I've also ordered from Silvertrader for small purchases, he is good and delivers fast. Although his premium is slightly higher it's perfect if your budget allow you only get 1-5oz per month. As you may noticed, most us also keep on eye on Atkinsons Bullion. Also check out the 'compiled list of dealers' by Chris Silver: thesilverforum.com/topic/382-a-compiled-list-of-bullion-dealers/

You've made a good selection and end the end the day it all comes down to personal preference.

My tip is to get one of each that you're considering for your collection/stack on your next order(s); that's how I started. My first silvers 1oz coins were a Britannia, Kookaburra, Eagle, Libertad, Ark and a Philharmonic from STG (Silver-to-go) and Silvertrader. I'm still not on the Panda wagon yet... but will get some at some stage...

From there you can see them in real life, measure and weigh them, and see them in further detail (under a magnifing glass)... and then create your own top 3, top 5 and/or top 10... 

damn, gotta run to work! :P

Thanks all for the great advice :)

I've ordered a US eagle and the 2oz beast from silver trader.  From here on in I will most likely buy 2-4oz per month in 1 or 2oz coins and build things up that way. I'm also thinking of buying the kids a small gold bar (only talking grams here) each year either at Xmas or on their birthdays, to store away until they are 18.

7 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

It looks like silvertrader puts the beast in a ring capsule.   Ive not seen them in those before so let us know if the fits and fully closes.

https://www.silvertrader.uk/product/2016-lion-of-england-queens-beasts-2-ounce-bullion-coin/

Mine arrived from silvertrader a couple of days ago and have just ordered another. The capsule doesn't quite fully close but pretty close to it and it seems pretty secure and happy. Agree that Goldsilver.be is good for anything over 5oz but silvertrader for the smaller purchases with his free delivery (and occasional offers).

Sorry, how rude of me, where are my manners ... hello and welcome @nr73

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

Just arrived.  The capsule would close fully with a 1oz thickness coin in there, but not with the 2oz Beast.  That said, there's no movement if you shake the capsule, so it's fine.  Looks like my very modest stack begins here :)

20160812_113135.jpg

20160812_113044.jpg

Not very well, no. If you're holding both sides of the capsule, the coin doesn't rattle around inside it (which is what I was trying to say in my previous post, but not explaining that very well!) but if you grab one half of the capsule and give it a shake the two halves will separate if you shake it hard enough.

Not very well, no. If you're holding both sides of the capsule, the coin doesn't rattle around inside it (which is what I was trying to say in my previous post, but not explaining that very well!) but if you grab one half of the capsule and give it a shake the two halves will separate if you shake it hard enough.

Ok, thanks for confirming.

Still looking for some reasonably priced capsules for mine. I don't like them being loose in tubes, rubbing together.

Stacker since 2013

Thanks for all the welcomes. My modest humble meagre stack-ette is off to a start thanks to this fine forum :)

Just had my first incoming forum buys land, a couple of 1982 coins and a 3 Oz poured bar courtesy of@stackermike :)

20160816_183506.jpg

Have also got a couple of Sheffield 100g bars coming, a 2oz UHR coin, 4 x 1oz bars and a 48g bar. Should have around 22oz by the time it all lands.

At this point since I'm new to stacking I'm really just buying a bit of everything so I can work out what appeals to me and what doesn't. I wanted to get a few oz going then I'll steadily add to it with a couple of coins each month. :)

Archived