• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone able to help decipher these Hallmarks?

AaaGee

Maker Samuel Pemberton dated 1825  Birmingham as Mr C said

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

19 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

https://theassayoffice.com/anatomy-of-a-hallmark

AssayOffice Birmingham

Other assay offices are available!

😎

BTW thats the first and last sensible comment you will get from me this year!

Back to normality now!!!

giphy.gif 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

4 hours ago, Mobius said:

Made by Smith & Pepper, Birmingham. 1951

The & in Smith & Pepper is not as per the maker's mark but it maybe it was not struck well. Birmingham 1951 is correct with S&P producing at that time.

The Smith & Pepper factory on Vyse Street, Birmingham is now The Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - an interesting stop off if you haven't been there before. https://www.birminghammuseums.org.uk/jewellery

S+P-SmithAndPepper.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Yeah @sixgun you're right, the '&' is in a different style.
It could well be just a different version of their makers mark but I can't find an example of it online so far.
I wondered if the assay office would allow two different company's marks to be so similar but it seems Smith & Pepper had items hallmarked
at both Birmingham and Chester offices so maybe they had slightly different marks registered at each assay office?

I've learned one thing: they sure made a lot of bangles!

1 hour ago, Mobius said:

Yeah @sixgun you're right, the '&' is in a different style.
It could well be just a different version of their makers mark but I can't find an example of it online so far.
I wondered if the assay office would allow two different company's marks to be so similar but it seems Smith & Pepper had items hallmarked
at both Birmingham and Chester offices so maybe they had slightly different marks registered at each assay office?

I've learned one thing: they sure made a lot of bangles!

Birmingham Assay Office will tell you but they charge for this service - i have asked about a hallmark in the past and there is a charge.

The maker's mark is different from the one listed for Smith & Pepper - the only one i have seen is the one with & which is the mark i posted an image of. They could have had a different mark at a different assay office but the one i posted is for Birmingham. Sometimes a company would change the mark several times and it is not easy to find the one you want.
We are left unsure - not so uncommon. You either spend a lot of time of decide it isn't worth it and no-one else is likely to have a clue if you are wrong or right.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

This hallmark doesn't show in my book but the closest I found was Samuel Pemberton 

@sixgun you're right of course, a lot of makers registered more than one mark over their working lives so it could be them or it could be some other silversmiths that we may never identify. Like you say it's probably not worth reasearching more.

I'm giving up now anyway!