• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

50% silver threepence

matrawr

So there's this guy at my local car boot sale saw some silver coins didn't find out alot of info as was caught off guard by it but he was selling them for £2 each not sure if it's a good buy or not? Thanks

9 minutes ago, matrawr said:

So there's this guy at my local car boot sale saw some silver coins didn't find out alot of info as was caught off guard by it but he was selling them for £2 each not sure if it's a good buy or not? Thanks

I sold some Victorian ones recently on ebay, dated between 1877 and 1897, quality varied and they sold for between £1.30 and £8.50. Don't know much about coin values but I was happy with that as it was well above spot for the silver content. However, similar aged ones of worse quality and George V ones from 1902 that were much better quality didn't sell. Someone on here probably knows more in relation to year and quality but if you're buying for silver content I don't think that's worth it. 

Thanks Mariner1961 when he said 50% it did put me off slightly as was hoping to have more silver content but looks like I may have to do some homework before making a decision seeing as he appears there occasionally.

Just now, matrawr said:

Thanks Mariner1961 when he said 50% it did put me off slightly as was hoping to have more silver content but looks like I may have to do some homework before making a decision seeing as he appears there occasionally.

No worries. I've got loads of silver 3d's left over from family. I think up until 1920 the silver content was higher so the ones you so are probably post 1920. Value probably all depends on year and quality at the end of the day, I couldn't see much difference between the ones I sold yet the final bids varied by £7. Tbh I've no idea which ones are worth more than the next...lol.

depends on condition and rarity, lower grades are probably

only worth near spot which currently is ~30p. you need to

know your stuff, sometimes odd coins at random places are

priced higher because the seller feels they are rarer and

worth more.

HH

Thanks for the replies yes it was .925 up until 1927 so they'll be dated from then to 1970 might have to take a magnifying glass lol for rarity and condition. I've definitely seen him a couple of times there and I don't go there regularly so doubt he'd be trying to con anyone. Might take a chance next time I see him and get him to give me a discount on multiple coins.

Archived