• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Good internet research reources?

Can any of you recommend the best sites to get data on silver coins?  Google just seems to assume I want to purchase rather than explore them. So it's just page after page of bullion dealers or 5 year old Ebay posts etc.

I'm currently trying to find out about the German-minted Somali Elephant 1oz silver coins. When the run started, the mintage, the different designs and while I can piece some of it together from various sales posts (someone might have an out of date listing for a 2017 one, someone else 2015 etc.) I can't seem to find general info on the 'run' as a whole.

Is there such a place?  Silverpedia?

I imagine that folks must want this type of detail all the time, whether it be Queen's Beasts, Kookaburras or what not.

I apologise if I've missed something obvious but as I say, my searches tend just to yeild 'sales' posts.

30 minutes ago, FourNinesFine said:

Can any of you recommend the best sites to get data on silver coins?  Google just seems to assume I want to purchase rather than explore them. So it's just page after page of bullion dealers or 5 year old Ebay posts etc.

I'm currently trying to find out about the German-minted Somali Elephant 1oz silver coins. When the run started, the mintage, the different designs and while I can piece some of it together from various sales posts (someone might have an out of date listing for a 2017 one, someone else 2015 etc.) I can't seem to find general info on the 'run' as a whole.

Is there such a place?  Silverpedia?

I imagine that folks must want this type of detail all the time, whether it be Queen's Beasts, Kookaburras or what not.

I apologise if I've missed something obvious but as I say, my searches tend just to yeild 'sales' posts.

You can actually get a lot from wikipedia..... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

25 minutes ago, FourNinesFine said:

That's perfect. I'm just an idiot. Thanks @MikeB

No, you are not an idiot.

Google promotes paid-for content.

Modern commercial websites have to be slick, with many advanced features, otherwise they lose Google ranking.

This means you need to look a little further before you can find sites like https://en.numista.com/ which can be quite useful, although not always perfect or fully comprehensive.

I know it has already been mentioned, as has Wikipedia, which can also be quite useful, although not always perfect or accurate.

There are also books, such as Krause World Coins.

😎

Chards

22 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

No, you are not an idiot.

Google promotes paid-for content.

Modern commercial websites have to be slick, with many advanced features, otherwise they lose Google ranking.

This means you need to look a little further before you can find sites like https://en.numista.com/ which can be quite useful, although not always perfect or fully comprehensive.

I know it has already been mentioned, as has Wikipedia, which can also be quite useful, although not always perfect or accurate.

There are also books, such as Krause World Coins.

😎

Thanks Lawrence. :)

Somalia elephant series is cool.  If you find something that is not listed on Numista, then please add it there so the database is updated.  Note that some variations can be listed on the same page instead of separate pages, as long as the coin design is the same.  So things like uncirculated, proof, colorized, high-relief, may be on the same page.  Since the design changes every year, there will be a separate page for each year.  Also, the different weights will end up on separate pages as well as silver, gold, platinum , etc versions.

3 hours ago, HappyHippo said:

Somalia elephant series is cool.  If you find something that is not listed on Numista, then please add it there so the database is updated.  Note that some variations can be listed on the same page instead of separate pages, as long as the coin design is the same.  So things like uncirculated, proof, colorized, high-relief, may be on the same page.  Since the design changes every year, there will be a separate page for each year.  Also, the different weights will end up on separate pages as well as silver, gold, platinum , etc versions.

That's very helpful, thanks!

One thing I didn't like about the Somalia elephant series is that their 1/10 oz gold version is a different diameter than most 1/10 oz gold coins.  I suppose they made the diameter larger so they'd have a larger picture.  But it is now in a different size capsule than the rest of my humble collection.

7 hours ago, HappyHippo said:

One thing I didn't like about the Somalia elephant series is that their 1/10 oz gold version is a different diameter than most 1/10 oz gold coins.  I suppose they made the diameter larger so they'd have a larger picture.  But it is now in a different size capsule than the rest of my humble collection.

That can be very annoying and I know that it really triggers some people.

As a general rule then, I guess that most bullion coins are made in the full suite of varieties by the respective mint. i.e. the same design on 1oz, 0.5oz, 0.25oz, 0.1oz (sometimes larger too) - and across the range of metals.

(I'm still learning this stuff.)

For silver bullion coins, I don't think you can assume most mints make coins less than 1 oz.  Or even coins greater than 1 oz.  US mint only makes 1 oz silver eagles.  It depends on the mint and the coin.