• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1g Gold Bars - Which is best for Barter-ability?

HANDF

I'm wanting to buy some 1g gold bars for investment and barter-ability - it seems like a mine field as to which one is best to buy!

I don't know wether to go for a good deal like 1g Gold Bar (Best Value) form gold.co.uk or maybe pay more for something like 1g Gold Bullion Britannia Bar - Henna Design from Chards

Has anyone got some advice for me please? H

Not sure I follow why you are buying.

Generally 1g bars are high premium vs the gold content, so not the best way to buy gold. But it sounds like you are planning for bad circumstances here and thinking about bartering, in which case you'd expect the value of gold to have increased and so the premiums mean less and smaller amounts are handy. In this case i don't expect you'd expect to get any more in bartering for a prettier/rarer bar, but perhaps you might be better off for something packaged or that can be certified as genuine easily.

If trading up smaller bits of gold for larger ones, then i'd go for low premium as possible. Or the opposite end of the spectrum for rare bars (I dont know of any i'm afraid). 

If buying as an investment, i'd be buying larger bars, with lower premiums, or gold coins where either the numismatic appreciation could add value or the coin is an everyday recognisable one like a sovereign. 

It's good to get clear on why you are buying. Hope this helps. 

50 minutes ago, HANDF said:

I'm wanting to buy some 1g gold bars for investment and barter-ability - it seems like a mine field as to which one is best to buy!

I don't know wether to go for a good deal like 1g Gold Bar (Best Value) form gold.co.uk or maybe pay more for something like 1g Gold Bullion Britannia Bar - Henna Design from Chards

Has anyone got some advice for me please? H

30 minutes ago, harrygill111 said:

Not sure I follow why you are buying.

Generally 1g bars are high premium vs the gold content, so not the best way to buy gold. But it sounds like you are planning for bad circumstances here and thinking about bartering, in which case you'd expect the value of gold to have increased and so the premiums mean less and smaller amounts are handy. In this case i don't expect you'd expect to get any more in bartering for a prettier/rarer bar, but perhaps you might be better off for something packaged or that can be certified as genuine easily.

If trading up smaller bits of gold for larger ones, then i'd go for low premium as possible. Or the opposite end of the spectrum for rare bars (I dont know of any i'm afraid). 

If buying as an investment, i'd be buying larger bars, with lower premiums, or gold coins where either the numismatic appreciation could add value or the coin is an everyday recognisable one like a sovereign. 

It's good to get clear on why you are buying. Hope this helps. 

As previously mentioned, it is about premiums and obviously 1g has a high one compared to larger ones. I have bought 1g bars, but prior to that trawled around the net to get the cheapest one. I found that there could be up to £20 difference… dealer dependant and make. Much as you want to see something in your hand I suggest you do what I did and stop getting tested with quick buying 1g and save up for the next or next plus one size bar. Or forget those and save and buy half or full sovereigns or even the odd quarter.