• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NGC conservation

Anyone has any exiperence with NGC conservation? Finally got this beauty, however with the recent QC shenanigans with RM coins this coin has a small issue as well.

However, unlike my other RM coin that I sent back, this one doesn't have chipped rim or frosting missing etc. There seem to be a tiny spot on the mirror field on ther observe by queenie's forehead, does anyone have exiperence with NGC conservation, as I was thinking that it is likely to be removed by them and given the RM QC it is probably better to keep this otherwise perfect coin and have NGC conserve it. 

IMG_0384.jpg

That looks like some sort of residue on the mirror surface which Conservation may be able to assist with. It will also improve the eye appeal as the surface looks a bit dusty too. Nothing is guaranteed though - if you're not happy then send it back to the mint, but I would personally gamble on NCS with that one.

59 minutes ago, Clockpuncher said:

That looks like some sort of residue on the mirror surface which Conservation may be able to assist with. It will also improve the eye appeal as the surface looks a bit dusty too. Nothing is guaranteed though - if you're not happy then send it back to the mint, but I would personally gamble on NCS with that one.

Would you say the same if it were a silver proof, or is that another kettle of fish?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Would you say the same if it were a silver proof, or is that another kettle of fish?

I don’t tend to grade many silver coins so not much experience of how effective NGC conservation is for them. Silver does to to have a lot more issues too around toning and milk spotting.

13 hours ago, Clockpuncher said:

Thanks for the input, I will enquire about a replacement, if that is not possible I will probably gamble with the conservation for the coin. Though the dust in mainly on the capsule. 

However, on second glance I realised that the reverse is not as perfect as I initally thought, there is bits of frosting missing on the harp(can't seem to see it in any of the pictures I have taken) and a tiny crater by the right paw of the top lion in the bottom quadrant and some small craters on the edge by the year.

I have no exiperence in grading modern proofs, what do you guys think about these mark and their impact on grading? Many thanks!!

IMG_0381.thumb.jpg.2533d670614381d63081c30fe1a1828b.jpg

@JeremyzedI wouldn't be too worried about the rim or the bit just above the M. The bit next to the lion looks a bit more prominent but it is impossible to tell what the issue is from he pic - if it is a crater on the surface of the coin it could reduce eye appeal and potentially knock you down a grade but its all super subjective at NGC. Is the imperfection very apparent to the naked eye?

Do remember that PF69 if essentially judged as no imperfections visible to the naked eye, and PF70 is only at 5x magnification whereas these look a lot more zoomed in that that.

38 minutes ago, Clockpuncher said:

@JeremyzedI wouldn't be too worried about the rim or the bit just above the M. The bit next to the lion looks a bit more prominent but it is impossible to tell what the issue is from he pic - if it is a crater on the surface of the coin it could reduce eye appeal and potentially knock you down a grade but its all super subjective at NGC. Is the imperfection very apparent to the naked eye?

Do remember that PF69 if essentially judged as no imperfections visible to the naked eye, and PF70 is only at 5x magnification whereas these look a lot more zoomed in that that.

No the fault is not very apparent to the naked eye at all, I was only able to find it with a five times loupe and tilting the coin, after locating it I can barely make it out with my naked eye at certain angles.

You are absolutely right about these pictures being much more zoomed in then 5x, they were taken with my phone(27mm lense, pretty close to eye's pov) through a 5x loupe and then zoomed in to 50% so probably close to what you would see through a 12x loupe.

I think the graders would be able to spot the faults through a 5x loupe though, it is apparent when looking under 5x. However, what confuses the most about NGC grading is how they determine post production fault and production faults as I understand the strike and post production marks do definitely affect the grade of a high grade coin like this... However some production fault might not count at all? (ps I have no exiperence with grading modern high grade proofs at all, so probably very dumb question).

I have actually found two more similar crater on the reverse.

Here are some pictures of the coin under 5x magnification and nature sunlight.

IMG_0396.jpg

Edited by Jeremyzed

Interestingly This imperfection on the harp is actually seen on the pictures RM posted on their product page, though it seems to still be a fault and not a part of the design as I haven't seen it elsewhere.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-great-engravers/gothic-crown/gothic-crown-quartered-arms-2oz-gold-proof-coin/.

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Edited by Jeremyzed

1 hour ago, Clockpuncher said:

If this were my coin, I would probably give this a go and see how conservation does. The line between 69 and 70 is ridiculously fine (and very subjective).

Do you know anything about how production faults that does not affect grading, as I have heard and seen quite a few coins with a big gash or something of that nature getting 70s... 

On a side note, do you guys know how likely will NGC conserve a coin that looks almost perfect with a 5x loupe, as I want to checked the conservation option for all of my coins(ten or more) for this submission just incase they find it can help with the grade, but I am also worried that they will hit me with a huge bill for the conservation as they ended up conserving all the coins...!

Do you guys normally check the conservation option even if you think that the coin most likely does not need conservation? Thanks!

Edited by Jeremyzed