• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it just me?

Stu

I recently had a rush of blood to the head and decided to purchase the 5 gold proof libertad set for 2015. I am a stacker at heart but justified this to myself as a partial hedge against the higher current spot price.
Anyway, I ordered the set from a well respected German dealer and it promptly arrived on 3 March. It is a lovely set but when I opened the set the half oz coin capsule was partially open, the coin partially out the capsule. I promptly returned the coin to the capsule and tried to replace it in the recess but it did not fit. Further inspection showed that the one ounce capsule was scratched also. Now if I was a collector who was going to get these coins slabbed and graded. I would not be bothered in the slightest provided the coins were fine, however I bought them so. I could appreciate them in the set. I duly rattled of an email to the company to explain the situation.
I had to send 2 further emails before they acknowledged the problem and said they would look into it. They then emailed me on the 7th asking for photos of the problem which sent to them. I sent a further email the following day asking if they received the photos I sent, then an email on the 9th saying that  I would be willing to try new capsules in the first instance and thereafter perhaps a new case. The following day a got an email saying they had the photos I sent and that they were aware of the fault, that the mint had messed. Up with the half oz and not to try to force the capsule into the recess as they had made the recess too small and it would break the capsule. This really makes me wonder at the quality control or lack of it, both the mint AND the coin company must have known this was the case when they forwarded the set on to their customers. They again advised they were working on a solution. 
14 March I had still heard nothing from the company, I emailed them asking them for a solution by the end of this week or I would ask for a full refund due to faulty goods.
16 March I still had no response so I emailed advising that if they do not offers solution or if they do not acknowledge my emails I will contact my credit card to clawback this payment. I have not heard back from this company to date.

What are people's thoughts, am I being too anal about this, not giving them enough time to respond/ find a solution or is their customer service sh*t andI should be doing all I can to get a resolution bearing in mind this is a high premium set which was well over £2k?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

No your not anal, you bought something in good faith to a certain standard that they advertised to that standard.

They should replace the item if they don't we name and shame on here and we all as fellow stackers/collectors avoid this company.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

And I was going to order a set, I even pressed the buy button but it wouldn't go through, I won't now. 

Have you inspected the capsule compared to the other capsules is it a mint one? , I had a perth mint 1oz horse that i dropped and cracked the capsule, a member on the site from Aus sent me a cap for a small fee.  Have you asked the Libertad collectors if there capsules fit in their box, if so then you need a mint cap.  

Ask the company to supply a mint capsule for the set from the mint,   You could ask the Libertad collectors the best way the get the caps yourself.   You could get a refund as the product is sold as a proof set with a big premium and so needs to be in excellent condition and this set is not! 

No you are not being fussy, tell the retailer you bought a Proof set and paid the premium, expect the set to be supplied in an premium condition that in future years could be realized by other coin and Libertad collectors.   Otherwise you could of bought bullion if you wanted coins to look not in a premium condition.  

I'd look to get the capsule replaced before sending the set back for a refund unless you don't want the set now.  A number of mints don't seem to have much in the way of quality control now and the reseller may not have even looked at your set or could have possibly had it shipped directly from the mint.

• 5 weeks later...
On 22 March 2016 at 12:06, Numistacker said:

If you decide to try to replace the capsule let me know. I am pretty sure I have one at home but I won't be there till 26th.

Hi Numistacker, do you still have a spare capsule I could try?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

If you decide to try to replace the capsule let me know. I am pretty sure I have one at home but I won't be there till 26th.

Hi Numistacker, do you still have a spare capsule I could try?

bd05c77dbcbff8611764c2e56bf8b793.jpg

I am fairly certain this is what you need.

A big thanks to @Numistacker who gifted me the half Oz capsule. All is now well and the half Oz coin is sitting nicely into its recess. I don't know why EMK insisted on a return and exchange of goods. Some gobbledgook about a crazy Mexican glueing the capsules into place. Anyway, job done. 

I would put up a pic.only my other half is about and she does not 100% know about this particular purchase, or the premium involved ?

Archived