• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver vs Platinum which one is better to stack?

wilspeak

In my eyes both are similar in that they are more speculative in character (as opposed to gold). Platinum more so than silver, because I'm not sure if it will ever recover, while silver is somewhat stable (volatile but stable).

If I needed to choose I would choose silver over platinum, but stack a little platinum for diversification. As it is I would only stack these on the side, because of VAT (where I live).

41 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

In my eyes both are similar in that they are more speculative in character (as opposed to gold). Platinum more so than silver, because I'm not sure if it will ever recover, while silver is somewhat stable (volatile but stable).

If I needed to choose I would choose silver over platinum, but stack a little platinum for diversification. As it is I would only stack these on the side, because of VAT (where I live).

I stack some Platinum, however I do stack more Silver and Gold than Platinum. Thank You

You are fortunate in not having to pay 20% tax in buying both silver and platinum like us Brits.

Depending on why you are stacking and how much you are planning to invest will govern which metals you choose and in which proportions.

If investing a significant amount in silver you will quickly find out that storage can become an issue and also maintaining your inventory if primarily in mixed single ounce coins.
When is comes time to sell ( if you plan to sell later ) trickling lots of small orders will be very time consuming but if retired perhaps a nice hobby.
Selling in bulk means generally to a bullion dealer so you will be lucky to receive spot price on the day.

Platinum was once higher priced than gold and all the fundamentals and logic suggest that it still should be.
However it is significantly cheaper than gold so is it cheap or is gold over-valued ?
The markets dictate prices, demand, and fat cat bankers manipulation so who can tell the direction of prices ?

Silver would appear to have more upside potential but people have been saying that for a long time.
Premiums on many silver coins right now are way over the top.
If gold drops significantly it could take a long time to recover.
Platinum seems cheap by comparison if you can find a seller that isn't adding a high premium.

I would also only ever value bullion metals at spot price, ignoring premiums, so if you can sell later above spot then that's a bonus.
If you have to pay a higher than average premium to acquire your coins / bars then don't assume that premiums are guaranteed and are likely to be dented with selling fees etc.

Back to how much ?
If spending a few thousand dollars, probably silver or gold coins.
If spending $50,000 then I would be tempted to split 3 ways - gold, silver and platinum.
Once you have your weight in silver ounces then add gold and platinum each time there is a sizeable dip in price.
Gold is very easy to sell but platinum doesn't always get the same percentage of spot as gold.

3 hours ago, Rll1288 said:

diversify across all three really with weighting towards Gold (for me anyways) although i do think platinum undervalued and may get hit due to move away from Cat converters etc. Still the rarest out of the three PMs and harder to mine and create with 🙂

Thank You

2 hours ago, Pete said:

You are fortunate in not having to pay 20% tax in buying both silver and platinum like us Brits.

Depending on why you are stacking and how much you are planning to invest will govern which metals you choose and in which proportions.

If investing a significant amount in silver you will quickly find out that storage can become an issue and also maintaining your inventory if primarily in mixed single ounce coins.
When is comes time to sell ( if you plan to sell later ) trickling lots of small orders will be very time consuming but if retired perhaps a nice hobby.
Selling in bulk means generally to a bullion dealer so you will be lucky to receive spot price on the day.

Platinum was once higher priced than gold and all the fundamentals and logic suggest that it still should be.
However it is significantly cheaper than gold so is it cheap or is gold over-valued ?
The markets dictate prices, demand, and fat cat bankers manipulation so who can tell the direction of prices ?

Silver would appear to have more upside potential but people have been saying that for a long time.
Premiums on many silver coins right now are way over the top.
If gold drops significantly it could take a long time to recover.
Platinum seems cheap by comparison if you can find a seller that isn't adding a high premium.

I would also only ever value bullion metals at spot price, ignoring premiums, so if you can sell later above spot then that's a bonus.
If you have to pay a higher than average premium to acquire your coins / bars then don't assume that premiums are guaranteed and are likely to be dented with selling fees etc.

Back to how much ?
If spending a few thousand dollars, probably silver or gold coins.
If spending $50,000 then I would be tempted to split 3 ways - gold, silver and platinum.
Once you have your weight in silver ounces then add gold and platinum each time there is a sizeable dip in price.
Gold is very easy to sell but platinum doesn't always get the same percentage of spot as gold.

Thank You so much for the information

Silver is very easy to liquidate. With platinum is different. The market is limited and on second hand market you will not find a buyer willing to pay more than 20% premium to recover the VAT and premium you have paid.

Silver is easy to sell quick on secondary market. If is 925 at spot + 0-10%, if is 999 at spot + 35-40% regular bullion.

Regards,

Stefan.

2 hours ago, stefffana said:

Silver is very easy to liquidate. With platinum is different. The market is limited and on second hand market you will not find a buyer willing to pay more than 20% premium to recover the VAT and premium you have paid.

Silver is easy to sell quick on secondary market. If is 925 at spot + 0-10%, if is 999 at spot + 35-40% regular bullion.

Regards,

Stefan.

Thank You