• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice on First Sovereign Purchase

muneeb

23 minutes ago, muneeb said:

Yes, I want a sovereign from the 60-90’s as it is more interesting to have and to add to a collection. 

I will have a look at the past auctions. Thank you for that.

Regards

1957 to 69 "Gillicks" are popular and tend to attract a bit of a premium on them, because most were non circulation so are in good condition, yet old enough to have historical value. The first decimal set, from 74 to 84 "second portrait" are probably the more affordable from those dates. 

The third portrait, from 85 to  97 were only minted in Proof condition and cost upwards of £400 at a minimum. 

BTW, if you are looking for interesting coins, ignore the modern sovereigns. They look neither gold in colour and have much less detail than the older varieties. 

Edited by Richym99

4 minutes ago, Richym99 said:

1957 to 69 "Gillicks" are popular and tend to attract a bit of a premium on them, because most were non circulation so are in good condition, yet old enough to have historical value. The first decimal set, from 74 to 84 "second portrait" are probably the more affordable from those dates. 

The third portrait, from 85 to  97 were only minted in Proof condition and cost upwards of £400 at a minimum. 

BTW, if you are looking for interesting coins, ignore the modern sovereigns. They look neither gold in colour and have much less detail than the older varieties. 

Yes, the prices on them are £400+ on auctions I have checked. They sell for a high price.

Definitely not wanting a modern sovereign. The old ones just look more aesthetically better. Hopefully I get myself that. Thank you for your help.

regards

23 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Personally I prefer best value, I like things that have been around for years, but ultimately it's just bullion. It's metal and try not to get emotionally attached. I paid £315, which is a little more expensive but for reason's we are not allowed to speak about (Voldemort). I have purchased 8 through best value method and three have been sent through with this year's date.

Fair enough, I’ve just gotten into sovereigns but I prefer the old ones rather than the new sovereigns.

44 minutes ago, muneeb said:

Yes, the prices on them are £400+ on auctions I have checked. They sell for a high price.

Definitely not wanting a modern sovereign. The old ones just look more aesthetically better. Hopefully I get myself that. Thank you for your help.

regards

Gillicks at dealers are usually priced close to spot and certainly not anywhere near 400 for bullion on the forum or at dealers.  Recently, a forum member was selling lots in what looked like MS condition for around 320 if my memory serves me correctly.

My most recent dealer experience was buying superb condition 1959 Gillicks in superb MS condition for very close to the same price as 2021 Sovereigns.

If you want interesting - look at shields   

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

18 minutes ago, dicker said:

Gillicks at dealers are usually priced close to spot and certainly not anywhere near 400 for bullion on the forum or at dealers.  Recently, a forum member was selling lots in what looked like MS condition for around 320 if my memory serves me correctly.

My most recent dealer experience was buying superb condition 1959 Gillicks in superb MS condition for very close to the same price as 2021 Sovereigns.

If you want interesting - look at shields   

Best

Dicker

I’ve been checking ebay, but I will look at dealers and more on the forum too. 

I will have a look into shields, thank you for your recommendation. 

regards