• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1911-B Great Britain Trade Dollar (Real or Fake) Need an Expert Opinion

Good Afternoon Guys - 

So I bought this coin this past weekend at a coin show and didnt give it a second thought until today when I tested it with my sigma pro and it is coming up less than 90% silver on the test. Now its not fully off the screen just two bars. The guy I bought this off is a good seller so I dont think he is willing selling fakes but the reading did lead me to question it. Can anyone that is a guru with these old Trade Dollars chime in and tell me what they think? 39MM on the button, weighs 26.59 grams. 

Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

There are 3 options I recommend:

1) I would send an email to Sigma Metalytics with your results and see what they say.   

2) contact a local coin dealer who are experts on old coins and have them check your coin for authenticity

3) If you know anyone with the same or newer version of the Sigma, have them test your coin and see if you get the same result.  The newer Sigma machines might work better (?) than the older ones.  

I have seen plenty of fakes of these but i've never come across one that has actual silver content. It looks genuine to me and the mintmark appears properly struck - a lot of counterfeits have no or unreadable mintmarks.

Maybe someone at the mint was using less than 90% silver either accidently or for nefarious reasons.....

My Trade Dollar has a worn mint mark on the trident and it is slightly 'coppered' but I have an attached, physical COA from Baldwin's on the Strand😊. How much did you pay for it? Did you obtain a receipt?

Edited by Shell