• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Britannia's different heights!

cadv

I have purchased 2 tubes of 2021 Silver Britannia's. I noticed that one tube was closer to the top than the other one, so I emptied both tubes. When comparing them side by side, it is literally like there's an extra coin compared to the other tube. Both of them do in fact contain 25 1oz coins, but the height difference is off by the height on one coin which is weird. Is this common for Britannia coins or is something up? I counted multiple times to make sure my eyes weren't fooling me!

On my scale, each coin seems to weigh differently but just a bit above 1oz.

You're guaranteed a minimum of 1 troy ounce per coin, tolerances at the Royal Mint aren't known for being particularly tight in modern times. It's strange that there is that much of a difference to the thickness of each coin though, but nothing surprises me with the Royal Mint now...do you have Vernier calipers? More accurate than a ruler and a useful tool to have around. 

I wouldn't be worried about your purchase though, if anything it sounds like you got some free silver 🤣

11 hours ago, Liam84 said:

You're guaranteed a minimum of 1 troy ounce per coin, tolerances at the Royal Mint aren't known for being particularly tight in modern times. It's strange that there is that much of a difference to the thickness of each coin though, but nothing surprises me with the Royal Mint now...do you have Vernier calipers? More accurate than a ruler and a useful tool to have around. 

I wouldn't be worried about your purchase though, if anything it sounds like you got some free silver 🤣

No I don't have that tool, might look into it! But that's good to hear that it can happen and there's nothing wrong! Thanks.

8 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

What's the total weight of each stack of 25 coins?

The stack to the left is 781.98g and the stack to the right is 782.61g.

I've attached an image of both stacks. As you can see, I can slide the 25th coin of the right stack over to the left stack!

stack.jpg

20 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

A couple of rims standing proud could account for that.

This. The weight difference is negligible especially if the scales aren't super sensitive (don't worry, lots of us use 'budget' scales). Some rims standing proud of the face would certainly give the impression of phatter coins.

Did you buy from royal mint? A couple of times I have been sent a 925 Brit that is larger. You still get 1 Oz of silver but it's a larger coin by weight height and width. This is probably not your answer but thought it maybe worth mentioning. The coins says fine silver on it rather than 999. Was not sent it by the royal mint.

Screenshot_20210309-234942.png

14 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Did you buy from royal mint? A couple of times I have been sent a 925 Brit that is larger. You still get 1 Oz of silver but it's a larger coin by weight height and width. This is probably not your answer but thought it maybe worth mentioning. The coins says fine silver on it rather than 999. Was not sent it by the royal mint.

Screenshot_20210309-234942.png

Those are 2012 and earlier bud, and they are .985 "Britannia Silver". Getting quite desirable now, the 2012 was the last of the line before they went to .999 fine. 

Archived