• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milk Spots

Danny-boy

I have heard the connoisseur wipes are slightly abrasive and will mark coins.

I could remove milk spots with sandpaper, but that's not really the idea.

Be interested to see the results from one of the wipes.

Stacker since 2013

• Founder & Administrator

Isn't baking soda supposed to be good for removing tarnishing?

Mix up a warm solution of hot water and dissolved baking powder or bicarbonate of soda, (not too sure what the difference is) and just dip the coin into the solution then pat try with some kitchen cloth.

Not sure if it would do anything to treat milk spots, and I wouldn't risk it, the solution could end up being quite abrasive depending on how much you use. BigstackMcgee used a whole lot of powder in that YouTube vid. I wouldn't clean a coin like this if I was planning on selling it. So be careful. 

The best solution is to just not buy RCM coins, which is a shame, I like the designs and if it wasn't for this ugly spotted rises I would have bought a few of those falcons.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Milk spots  would not stop me buying silver for bullion purposes but if it was for a collection i would be  annoyed at owning damaged goods as it were.

If it was bought just to chuck in ye ole treasure chest arrrrrrrrgh, no problems buy away.When we the stacking community stop buying because of the spots they might listen, but the RCM have been quoted as saying it is just bullion.

I put maples in with the 1oz bar category, it is all weight only bullion.but we know a resale market want silver in mint condition but a smelter dealer, don't care.

Does any one out there stack rough old tarnished silver and sling it in a box?i personally would love a real life treasure chest but being anal can not bring my self to do it, all i do is tube it and forget it, no fun, but a treasure chest mmmmmmmmm .Milks spotted silver would be ideal for that. 

My version of that treasure chest is plastic in cased silver in a monster box.next time i am playing with the stack i will take a photo it looks pathetic. 

Milk spots would not stop me buying silver for bullion purposes but if it was for a collection i would be annoyed at owning damaged goods as it were.

Really?

Even if you could (which you can) buy for a similar price or the same price without milk spots??

I doubt many of our stacks will ever see the smelters, it'll always be more profitable to sell privately.

Stacker since 2013

If you have milk spots on bullion coins then they will look pretty awful so don't worry about introducing fine scratches or cleaning marks that require close examination to detect.

A clean coin will always look better than a spotted one and some spots can be large splashes !

I bought an ultrasonic cleaning bath for about £20 and using fairly hot water with a few drops of washing up liquid and about a teaspoonful of Ammonia ( bought on Amazon ) I put the coins in this bath for about 5 minutes before rinsing in running warm water.

Pat dry with a paper towel.

If the blemishes remain then I gently rub with a silver polishing cloth that you can buy at most jewellers.

That will remove the spots permanently but you will see the rub marks under glancing light or magnification but who cares ?

Toothpaste, bicarb, erasers etc will not be better than silver polish - your last resort.

I have a theory on how to remove milk spots. It is a bit whacky and needs full testing - which will have to wait untill I am home now. I will work on it ready for testing and let you know how I get on. Anyone whant to open a book on my results? I think it will work brilliantly, and not leave any damage to the coin at all!!!! We will see..... ;)

• 1 year later...

Is the ultrasonic cleaner method effective?

I have an ultrasonic cleaner and it definitely DOES NOT remove the dreaded milk spots.

I wish I could get my hands on a tub of E-Zest sold in the USA for a few bucks but not allowed to be shipped to the EU ( maybe if we leave the EU we can get some ?? ).

This stuff will remove all stains and milk spots in about one second !

It is an aggressive product and has to be used correctly but it does the trick.

Only to be used on bog standard bullion though and never on semi-numi coins or proofs.

I've tried to remove milk spots using a vinyl free eraser and Goddard's jewellery cloth. Guess what happened? The milk spots were removed, and so was the nice shinny finish. Using a 10x loop I could see the small scratches left by the cloth. With the naked eye, the coin looked fab.

I'm now leaving the coin out in the open to naturally tone for the next 20 years...lol.

Archived