• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver threepence

KPW82

Without checking my reference books the threepence might be a weird one, like the sixpences and halfcrowns.

Officially all coins were last minted in .925 silver in 1919 and started mintage in .500 silver in 1920. However, some denominations sixpences and half crowns definitely and threepences I think as well, had some of the 1920 mintage in sterling silver. I suspect with the tiny threepences it's hard to tell the difference if not impossible, the sixpences are difficult enough.

Basically the designs are identical but sterling is softer than 50% silver (I imagine) and the strike has a different look.

I'm almost certain I have a sterling 1920 half crown, it looks identical in strike to the 1919 issue, and at odds with the other 1920 half crowns I have, the patina is like sterling and not that mucky yellowish colour of the early 1920s, the wear patterns are different too.

However, if you're looking for sterling threepences stick to 1919 and before to be certain.

Thanks boys, I was sorting through a box of old coins and had split the .925 and .50's into different bags, I was working on the 1920 cut off too so think I got it right. Had some really old 1800's in there but couldn't see exact dates as they were so worn 🙄

Just to complicate things 😂

There is a nuance to Silver Content in terms of Maundy Money in terms of its SIlver content. 

Maundy Money, up to and including 1920 George V issues the silver content was .925.

From 1921 George V up until 1946 George VI issues, the Silver content for Maundy Money was .500.

From 1947 George VI and to up to date with all Elizabeth II issues the Silver content of Maundy Money bucked the trend and all the Maundy coinage is .925 Silver.  

Archived