• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

coininvest dot com (Germany) post Brexit

StewartW

I've bought from coininvest several times in 2020 with super efficient shipping by UPS (usually two days max and and zero issues).  However, my last purchase is being held somewhere in the system due to Brexit with UPS saying "The package is delayed due to a BREXIT related disruption. We are adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible."  The parcel was dispatched from Germany on 12 Jan, so now approaching two weeks.!!  I thought we had left the EU with a deal?!?!?!  Anyone else having EU issues in 2021?

14 hours ago, StewartW said:

"The package is delayed due to a BREXIT related disruption. We are adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible." 

I've googled that and it looks like it's a common problem. They shouldn't really use this wording. Either they are following the rules or they are not.

I read somewhere that many freight companies, UPS included, are in total disarray and UK customers can expect long delays.
Also be prepared for a shock in having to pay 20% VAT plus a processing fee from UPS.
A "deal" is something on paper that our politicians talk about but there are lots of teething problems in the real world and many businesses that never got themselves prepared and now waking up to reality. Add to this intentional complications within the EU to show fellow EU members that leaving is a mistake by overcomplicating electronic paperwork and invoking the small print unnecessarily just to be as awkward as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to customs in the UK it is a bit of a lottery.

I've had two parcels sent from the same country and on the same day and the same value, one arrived within the week and the other got held up in customs and took another three weeks to turn up.

I think if it says Heathrow Langley on your parcel tracking for more than a day then it is going through a more thorough customs check and it adds a couple more weeks onto the delivery.

1 minute ago, GoldStatue said:

When it comes to customs in the UK it is a bit of a lottery.

I've had two parcels sent from the same country and on the same day and the same value, one arrived within the week and the other got held up in customs and took another three weeks to turn up.

I think if it says Heathrow Langley on your parcel tracking for more than a day then it is going through a more thorough customs check and it adds a couple more weeks onto the delivery.

Did you get VAT on both of them ? 

Just now, TringSilver said:

Did you get VAT on both of them ? 

I did, and also the Royal Mail admin fee for both.

I've found you've got more of a chance of the Royal Mail forgetting to charge you the VAT if the parcel is a low value one, but even that's no guarantee.

58 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

I did, and also the Royal Mail admin fee for both.

I've found you've got more of a chance of the Royal Mail forgetting to charge you the VAT if the parcel is a low value one, but even that's no guarantee.

Thanks, I'm sure it will be random.

Used to play this game with fancy car parts from Japan in my youth, massive £600 exhaust sailed through but a small item of electronics valued at say £100 would get picked up! 

16 minutes ago, savoyard said:

How much, dare I ask.

It was £8.

Not sure why it is so high, all they do is send you a postcard to say you have to pay your import taxes before they can deliver the parcel, surely that can't be more than the cost of a first class stamp 85p-ish?

On 03/02/2021 at 10:28, GoldStatue said:

It was £8.

Not sure why it is so high, all they do is send you a postcard to say you have to pay your import taxes before they can deliver the parcel, surely that can't be more than the cost of a first class stamp 85p-ish?

This is a flat rate fee applied regardless of the value of the contents.
The RM is authorised to take possession of the goods from customs because they pay on account the VAT in advance.
All computer records but nevertheless they have some limited admin to cover but they also need a bank credit facility agreed with HMRC to a specified large amount and to this our lovely banks apply a facility charge for the privilege. This is called  VAT deferment and all importers will have these and will most likely charge an even higher fee to us the customer.

Archived