• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Opinions on grading x6 gold proofs?

Yorkshiremanc

Hi all,

I’m fairly new to collecting and have recently been considering grading, though I know little about this (just what I’ve read and from Numistacker’s site!).

I have 6 gold proofs (5 pictured below). They are:

1994 Double sov

2012 Charles Dickens £2 double sov

2017 1/2oz 50th anniversary Krug

2017 1/4oz Brit

2020 Sov

2021 Sov (not in pic)

Now, I recently bought a loupe and have been inspecting each. The 1994 double, Charles Dickens double and the 2021 sov are all pretty spotless.

However, the Krug appears to have a couple of very small dots to left of the horns, the 1/4 Brit seems to have a few flecks visible in the matte finish near the head/shoulders and the 2020 sov appears to have some black showing on some of the letters on the obverse, when viewed with the loupe (30x magnification).

My question to the more experienced is simply this: is it worth getting any of these 6 graded (and which?), especially considering the three that appear to have some issues?

I’m basically concerned that I might send one (or some/all) for grading, and it/they be returned with a not so great rating, that potentially makes it undesirable vs. just being sold as is now in its original boxing etc.

Any advice or guidance is much appreciated :)

D57E1539-8DF1-4075-A382-0CE8CAA935DB.jpeg

I suppose the question you have to ask is what would you be grading them for? To try and add value? Or because you like to collect graded coins?

Certainly with some of these modern coins if they come back with a less than perfect grade, you have effectively poured your grading fee down the toilet, and placed a cap on the value of the coin when it comes to selling it. 

Unless upon doing my research I found that I had a particularly well sought after coin, I personally wouldn’t bother with the gamble of grading my coins en masse.

Shep

Hi 🙋‍♂️ 

I’d look at the sale prices of each of your coins as a PF70 and decide based on that.

Anything less than a PF69 is a defective coin for most and the slab basically confirms quality is good. So you may just get your grading fee back  (depends on each coin).

If you do get a PF70 then you are in profit and this profit may cover the costs of your other coins that don’t get a “70”.

Just my thoughts 😉 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

13 minutes ago, Yorkshiremanc said:

Thanks @Shep and @MancunianStackeryour thoughts are much appreciated. Good point re: purpose of grading. My main concern was that grading the coins would in fact lower their appeal/value. I’m not even sure if what I’m seeing under magnification is actually problematic or if I am just fishing for issues!

You could always remove them from the slab carefully and use gloves if you keep all the original packaging and capsule. Any new buyer could do that anyway if sold on with the original packaging. It gives them the choice I suppose. 👍🏻 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

3 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

If you do get a PF70 then you are in profit and this profit may cover the costs of your other coins that don’t get a “70”.

One thing you might do is check the coin population on NGC and PCGS.  You may find some coins where virtually all of them have been graded 70 and others where there is only 1 70.

2 hours ago, Yorkshiremanc said:

Thanks @Shep and @MancunianStackeryour thoughts are much appreciated. Good point re: purpose of grading. My main concern was that grading the coins would in fact lower their appeal/value. I’m not even sure if what I’m seeing under magnification is actually problematic or if I am just fishing for issues!

It sounds as if you are thinking of selling them.  If so it is probably not worth grading any you have doubts about.  Pick the perfect ones get them graded and see if your idea of perfect matches the grading company's.  If it does then great.

Oh and by the way I think the Coin Cabinet charges less commission when selling graded coins compared to ungraded if that is the way you are thinking of selling.

42 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Oh and with the 1994 £2 you might want to check if it is a mule.  They can be worth a bit.

Thanks Seasider for this and your precious post, very helpful. I can confirm it’s not a mule unfortunately! Still very low mintage. I will definitely check the grading sites and see what grades the same coins have received!

Archived