• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The royal mint pricing.

Jiminkent

It seems very odd to me that the royal mint website isn't normally the best place to buy their products.

I guess european websites have a price advantage because of vat charges, but that doesn't explain why britannias etc can often be purchased from other UK dealers at much better prices.

I must be missing something? Maybe they just can't be bothered taking the orders and would prefer for other dealers to buy in bulk and deal with the small buyers.

Does anyone know the reasons for this?

It's common place mate.

Apple website is the most expensive place to buy apple products, same with most other bigger brand names

They know if you're somebody that is on their website chances are you're looking for one of their products and they can charge a premium for that pleasure.

As above really - it is very common practice. Also worth mentioning that just because a manufacturer decides to sell direct - doesn't mean its cheaper for them to do so than it is for others. They still need to hire a team of people to manage that side of the business and have all the costs you'd expect a storefront to have. If anything this diversification could lead directly to them charging more as they almost certainly won't set up the business in as streamlined a way as one where the sole focus is getting goods in and out the door.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, they're a manufacturer, not a wholesaler or retailer.

I guess thats obvious when you use their incredibly clunky payment system. 

I've done it a few times because I wanted something that wasn't anywhere else and you do have to wonder who they got to design that thing. Adding funds to a wallet before they show you the exact checkout price? Its maddening.

Navigating the worst website ever designed to find a particular item then trying to add the exact amount to your RM wallet. Only to find 30 seconds later that you're 5p short...Having to click on 'load more' when viewing search results when the page could just show all results in the first place. Don't even think about using the filter unless you like shouting at your computer screen, filtering to 'Britannia' in the silver section brings up one result - the 500 coin box...It's almost as though the RM doesn't want personal shoppers.

Actually - i think they probably dont.

I think lots of buyers (especially 1st time ones) think that you are buying from the original source - Royal Mint. It gives you safety feeling, no fakes, no rip offs - guaranteed genuine products. For example, they were only stockists (most coins  in stock) during lock downs. Every one else were closed, Royal Mint was the only one up & running, sending out their products with 3 to 5 day lead time. Most of other coin suppliers were out of stock, or taking pre-orders only, with lead times 6 to 8 weeks. Since they upgraded their website, they become even more expensive, than when they were Royal Mint Bullion. They used to have very rigorous registration process, asking for original passport details, utility bills, check calls etc

Now it is lot easier to register with them than it used to be few years ago. Now they are more retail customer friendly. 

Archived