• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Long time investment in metals - what would be suggested split in Silver:Gold:Other ratio ?

DanTer

Hi

Looking to freeze some money for next few years  as in current economic atmosphere looks like better tomorrow was yesterday and I just want to prepare for difficult times.

What is in your opinion guys and why the ideal ration if you want to buy metals now like silver, gold, others .

Should it be 50% gold and second half equally in to others or 70% silver and 30% gold or?

No contracts , no papers , only physical metals 

I am new to metals so looking for a opinion from people which are more experienced.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on your budget and time frame really tbh. What ever the budget is don't feel the need to spend it all at once, you can shop arround and buy the deals as and when they come up. 

With regards to the split, I would just be flexible and acquire both. However much in each category is really up to you as there is no right or wrong answer. When deciding on the split have a think about how and when you will exit the position . 

Welcome to TSF

You will get varying opinions on this. For me Im 100% silverbug at the moment, but If gold were to go down in prices below £1k ish - id be in, and Id still be buying silver, but my ratio would be 1oz gold to 300z of silver. I look at the time of the price im buying. The gold to silver ratio has dropped from all time highs as of late, so did need a lot more silver to match an oz of gold, i think its about 95 now but was in the 100's. Silver is playing catch up. Silver and gold as of late have been high on premiums due to the demand. I will buy gold but not yet, if not at all, if it doesnt meet my around target price. I still beleive that due to the suppression of ETFs (paper market) on Silver, I still believe its still highly under valued compared to gold. Also silver gets used more in industry than gold and silver goes to landfill, so becoming more rarer as the growth and demand for silver through tech use and industry. Many or some may disagree with my post. I would stop buying silver when it reaches similar prices as its all time high 29 an ounce (about of 25 an ounce i would stop to account for premium). - but the next time it goes to that level it will go beyond that - due to QE etc etc next crash.   Also depends on your financial situation - if you can buy in bulk - you will get premium discounts from dealers. But you will probably find that where you get your cheapeast silver wont be where you will get your cheapest gold! There are plenty of good forum members on here who will sell to you at reasonbale prices, some absolute gentlemen and likeminded people who wont rob you over PM's prices.

Sorry if my answer is vague - but I go to buy at the market, when the price is right. And gold atm is no for me - YET!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

7 minutes ago, McDougall said:

Personal I do 70% Gold 30% silver but that’s me 

@DanTer this proves my point. Everyone has varying opinions and also people are at different stages of stacking PM's. I expect @McDougall has been dancing with essex gold  leprachuans for many years 🤣

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Also I would add that as you state the 'long term investment' - gold is more quicker to react markets so you can make faster profits with gold but the beauty for me silvers a definate long term investment game and certainly more volatile. Like me, as I am madder than mcjack the madman who lives in east ham - just west of barking (mad)!!!!  😂

Like anything buy the dip and be comfortable what you are willing to pay for stuff. To me PMs is all about patience - its not like stocks to make a quick buck.

accumulate up to as much gold/silver as your understanding allows - belangp youtube.

gold has a different purpose to silver. each should be treated individually.

gold is more flexible when facing an uncertain future. is more steady in pricing and it's

important to get a good entry price.

silver is more volatile and tends to hug the lows when it's not making sharp spikes. as

such it's more important to get a good exit price(hitting a price spike), this makes it less

flexible(profitable) as something to sell when needed. silver is speculative.

knowledge is the key. work on your understanding of each metal, test it and refine your

strategy/allocation(%) with experience.

HH

buy as much of both as you can reasonably afford. I should have a % ratio in mind and allocate funds accordingly but I go through phases of preferring each of them or a certain series of coins e.g. Queens beast 1/4oz gold. I enjoy the hobby of collecting as much as the potential investment returns so just buy which ever takes my fancy as and when I have funds and see good deals :)  I'm therefore lead more by circumstance such as deals and whatever I feel like buying at any given point in time not a pre-determined ratio or set of rules.

Archived