• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Evening all

Ares

Hey guys, just joined, as usual forget to do this kind of thing when I join a forum!

Anyway, in terms of PM i'm very much into it more for the collecting aspect as opposed to the storing of wealth so my purchases tend to be small and various (partly also due to my current financial situation *cough* student *cough* beer *cough*) and tend to be more numi but still do have bullion coins!

Off the top of my head, my collection is only ~10 Morgans, a half a dozen Crowns, probably only 7oz in bull with scattered global coins in the mix (swiss, venezuela, india etc, might photograph 'em and slap them in the gallery) plus 1 single solitary gold sov ('67). Waiting on a delivery of a RM Year of the Horse(Ag) , a 2014 panda(Ag) and a $5 US half eagle (Au). Very small quantities here.

But yeah, that's how I stack. Slowly but surely. Hope to pick up some good info while i'm here.

Cheers

Hi Ares,

As I said in the other thread, welcome. Hope you enjoy it here.

I'd love to see some pics of your stack, as I'm sure would others.

Nice to see more collectors on board too.

May I ask how you found us, for research purposes?

Dan

Stacker since 2013

Thanks all! :)

Found this site from another silver forum with a link to this in their signature (vaguelly recall it could have been the owner as they referred to it as their site), not gunna link it because some other forums i've been on have been a bit awkward when it comes to that kind of thing so.

Full set of Morgans is my main goal, but i'll pick up anything I fancy like a Jackdaw along the way.

Edit: #100? Boooooooom

Full set of Morgans is my main goal, but i'll pick up anything I fancy like a Jackdaw along the way.

That's quite an undertaking, from what I remember there are just shy of 100 coins to collect, not including proofs.

I have to say though, that would be a sight for sore eyes. I'd love a set like that.

Sounds like some of them are mega rare too, and pricey even in crap condition.

D

Stacker since 2013

That's quite an undertaking, from what I remember there are just shy of 100 coins to collect, not including proofs.

I have to say though, that would be a sight for sore eyes. I'd love a set like that.

Sounds like some of them are mega rare too, and pricey even in crap condition.

D

96 IIRC, some of the rarer ones run up to £'000s in average conditions so it's definitely not a cheap undertaking but then again it's also an undertaking i'm planning on taking years (if not decades) to accumulate. I'm in no rush and there's still dozens of examples with production in the millions which can be bought for very reasonable prices for me to get my hands on.

There's a great book i've got all about 'em, it gives exact mintages, the average quality of those coins in circulation and a small history of that example, stuff like someone cracking open a safe and finding bags of thousands of coins which turned a rare key date into a common example. The air must have been truely blue.

Yes Ares, I had thought about that before.

It's a brave person to spend 10K on a coin that could become common the very next day.

You just never know what will be found, and there must be loads out there for finding. If you did find lots of examples of a very rare coin, you'd have to keep schtum and be very clever with filtering them onto the market.

That's why I'm a tad more comfortable with lower mintage bullion, it's more of a known quantity.

My one Morgan is my lowest fineness and weight coin in my entire collection (until my 1/2oz sharks arrive that is).

Stacker since 2013

Absolutely, which is why i'm not rushing to the back to make a huge withdrawral just yet ;)

Very much a case of gradual injection into the market through multiple sources.

I agree on low minage bullion, I'll pick up say one example of an ASE, maple or whatever for my collection but because the design repeats every year with those then It very much feels like it's 'done'. Now the Lunar series/Pandas, that's something else entirely and the lunars/kooks are probably as low mintage as I can go. Looking at how those coins seem to increase in value year on year, I always buy a pair when they come up. Now the UK lunar series, too early to tell if it'll be a boom or bust series to get in on at the start, but I will.

Interesting, presumably you've got the heavier denominations mixed in too?

Ares, the full Morgan set is a fantastic goal to have though.

I'm a set collector, so look to complete full date runs of a chosen bullion type. I only do BU, so no proofs and it'll likely stay that way.

I just completed a full run of kooks, have all the 1oz Perth series 2, couple full date runs of britannias and others. There are many other date runs I want too, but I have to keep it real.

I have a couple of the UK lunars, be interesting to see what they do but I don't hold out too much hope.

I have lots of coins, and all but two are 1oz. Only 2 weeks ago I got a 2oz lunar horse, and immediately got the 2oz snake to go with it. It was my first foray into larger sizes, and I am loving them. Have a deal going for the 5oz and 1/2oz horse in a couple weeks too, so they will be with me soon.

I hardly have any coins the same, save for the britannias and 5x peregrine falcons I bought. I like variety. Ha ha

Stacker since 2013

Daaamn, that is variety!

I dare not purchase past Lunars, Kooks or Pandas because the costs of those can get so big, so i'm ending up buying the examples when they come out in Oct/Nov for the lowest prices they'll ever be. I'm pretty tempted (come 2017) to buy as many weights as possible of silver and perhaps bend my rule on fractional gold for the year of the rooster because it's the animal of my birth year.

There's a couple of Britannias which look pretty nice too (the 2007 being my particular favourite) and it really seems a shame that now they appear to have become a recurring design.

If you like variety you should like this video

That video is pretty cool, I saw it not long ago.

Oddly enough, my collection is in 2 cases the same as that, with the same trays. It does showcase them well.

I decided against the lunar series 1 and sold the ones I had, prices were too silly. Same goes for the panda, just collecting from now forward.

Most of us buy our silver from within the EU and avoid the majority of VAT, so that makes stacking recent coins much cheaper.

But, I do have a penchant for sets so will continue buying some older issues. I'm about 75% on my way to a set of koalas, so got a few older coins to buy.

I do love the britannias, I wish I had more than 2 sets looking at the prices they are commanding lately. My favourite (and seemingly most other peoples) is also the 2007, it looks almost proof.

Shame they went to 999 and kept the same design, but I'll buy a couple each year to keep the sets going.

Stacker since 2013

I've got a case similar to that too, annoyingly because of the awkward size of the lunar series I need to buy a specific tray to fit them plus case and it's verging onto ~48mm diameter. Should probably fit a Marie Theresa trade dollar too.

What sort of sites do you guys get your stuff from? I've been sticking to UK sites because I was under the impression that getting coins in from abroad ultimately results in hassle from HMRC to pay VAT at 20%?

Purchasing forward is the cheapest way, may not see the cost rises of older issues as mintages rise but nevertheless people seem to look back at the late 00's Pandas so thinking forward towards 2020 people may look back at these pandas and think the same, here's hoping anyway.

IMO Britannias were more special when they were .925, they were more unique in that respect. There's something lost in it now being another .999 coin,

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to the forum Ares! :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived