• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Collecting and condition

AndyL

I come from the world of art collecting where condition carries a premium or least makes selling alot easier but I'm new to this world. I'm guessing collecting coins is similar re condition but with non decorative weight bars does it make much difference if it has a few scratches /dunts or is it just about the weight? I can feel the bug with collecting coins but I've alot to learn! 

As you have already guessed condition makes a huge difference, but only for collectors coins.

For Bullion it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't buy bullion coins that look outright filthy or as if a tank drove over them but apart from that it's about the weight.

Hi Andy,

There are two main grading service providers, NGC and PCGS. They encapsulate (slab) a coin after giving it a grade between 1-70, 70 being the best.

@Numistacker has a service where he sends off member’s coins to NGC for grading.

Check out his YouTube channel as he has lots of NGC return videos to watch and it’s a good education. 👍🏻 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

28 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Hi Andy,

There are two main grading service providers, NGC and PCGS. They encapsulate (slab) a coin after giving it a grade between 1-70, 70 being the best.

@Numistacker has a service where he sends off member’s coins to NGC for grading.

Check out his YouTube channel as he has lots of NGC return videos to watch and it’s a good education. 👍🏻 

Thanks @MancunianStacker much appreciated, I'll give that a watch 🙏

54 minutes ago, AndyL said:

Thanks @MancunianStacker much appreciated, I'll give that a watch 🙏

A lot of members have a YouTube channel. I do the odd video too. Just depends on what time I have. Best wishes!

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

I don't get my coins slabbed, but I look after them carefully and put them in simple capsules (I use the Lighthouse ones).  I want to enjoy the coins for their beauty as well as for their bullion value.  Hopefully the best of both worlds if you don't wish to pay for grading and aren't necessarily looking to (maybe) increase your profits when you sell, trade or flip,

But more importantly - tell us about your art @AndyL - what do you like, and what have you got?

(I have a fair few pictures and sculptures at home, I buy what I like and keep it forever)

Just now, Stuntman said:

I don't get my coins slabbed, but I look after them carefully and put them in simple capsules (I use the Lighthouse ones).  I want to enjoy the coins for their beauty as well as for their bullion value.  Hopefully the best of both worlds if you don't wish to pay for grading and aren't necessarily looking to (maybe) increase your profits when you sell, trade or flip,

But more importantly - tell us about your art @AndyL - what do you like, and what have you got?

(I have a fair few pictures and sculptures at home, I buy what I like and keep it forever)

I'm enjoying looking at the coins, trying to learn, bought a couple just because I liked the images/look. I imagine you get more pleasure from coins than bars for sure. 

Artwise I've a real mix in tastes, my day job is dealing in Banksy, being doing that a long time now, as far as collecting its anything from Banksy to the other end of the spectrum Frank Mckelvey, just love his use of light and shadows, close to home as well, they couldn't be anymore different. Have quite a few Blackshaws whose somewhere in the middle. All have interesting backstories though and with the art that's just as interesting to me. I love sculptures too, bit like PM I guess, just nice to touch. 

Nice eclectic tastes there. I have just googled Frank Mckelvey and I can see why you like him :)

I like Banksy's satire - the Hogarth for our times, perhaps.

Myself, I like anything from photorealistic to complete abstract. Perhaps my favourites at home are pictures by Fred Cuming, Ken Howard, Barbara Rae, William Russell Flint and William Gear.  For sculptures, my favourites at home are by a chap called Geoffrey Dashwood.  I've met him a few times, visited him at his home studio for a glass of wine of two as well.

https://www.geoffreydashwood.com/

I suppose we'd better get back on topic at some point ;)

9 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Nice eclectic tastes there. I have just googled Frank Mckelvey and I can see why you like him :)

I like Banksy's satire - the Hogarth for our times, perhaps.

Myself, I like anything from photorealistic to complete abstract. Perhaps my favourites at home are pictures by Fred Cuming, Ken Howard, Barbara Rae, William Russell Flint and William Gear.  For sculptures, my favourites at home are by a chap called Geoffrey Dashwood.  I've met him a few times, visited him at his home studio for a glass of wine of two as wll.

https://www.geoffreydashwood.com/

I suppose we'd better get back on topic at some point ;)

Those are beautiful, love the scale of the monumental pieces! Really like William Russell Flint as well, have a lovely watercolour years ago, not sure if I still have an image. What's this thread again? 🙃

Archived