• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's the best way to store silver coins?

GavitSilver

thanks a lot for your help! I know that china, Australia coin comes in capsules and for example canadian coins no. i have some australian/chinese coins in their own capsules and other coins that are in plastic folder.I was thinking to buy capsules for every coin and store them in a box like lighthouse volterra.what do you think? is it a good idea?

It's up to you but spending on caps can add up.   Unless you buy a full tube of coins then caps are probably the way to go.

Personally I'm not keen on any fancy storage boxes for bullion coins.

You're correct on pandas and its kooks/koalas/lunar in caps from Australia.

You can have a look in the product description on silver-to-go for example to see if the coins come in caps or loose in a plastic bag/sachet. 

I understand, probably i like this boxes because at the moment i feel more like a collector than a stacker XD I was wondering if capsule+that box is enough to preserve the silver during the time. I have read something about silica gel but I haven't understood a lot.

We probably all go a little overboard with storage precautions, I kept some pre decimal and world silver in an old style cloth bank bag for about fourty years. Prior to that it was kept in a store room at the back of a

garage, it wasn't pure silver of course but it never came to any harm. I sold it on and put the proceeds into shiny bullion which of course is mostly safely tucked up in capsules apart from a few pieces which were already

tarnished (bought at a discount of course). It's handling that seems to do the most damage in my own experience, nothing worse than seeing somebody finishing off a packet of crisps only to pick up a coin and start

breathing all over it  :blink: . Keep it stored in relatively dry and air tight conditions and it will be fine, I know some people take extra care if they live on the coast, but I'm not sure if that's really necassary.

The difference is that "toning" in old silver coinage is tolerated and even regarded as desireable. I doubt that anyone will want anything other than perfect shiny coins when they are looking to buy semi-numismatic Perth lunars in years to come.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The difference is that "toning" in old silver coinage is tolerated and even regarded as desireable. I doubt that anyone will want anything other than perfect shiny coins when they are looking to buy semi-numismatic Perth lunars in years to come.

Yes, you are right on the money there Steve  :D , once you get into the realms of numismatics it's a dfferent kettle of fish altogether. 

Intercept antitarnish strips in your box, safe or whatever.

I haven't seen those before.  I guess they can't hurt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-INTERCEPT-STERLING-SILVER-ANTI-TARNISH-PAPER-TAB-2-034-x-7-034-STRIP-/400457170005?_trksid=p2054897.l4275#ht_1665wt_967

P.S.  That was the first listing I saw so there may be cheaper sources if searched for.

Archived