• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Correct coin storage?

Yeti

Hi chaps,

I bought some phillys from hatton garden metals and they came with plastic pouches. They were in as new condition. I've checked them today and they're starting to discolour and I presume developing milk spots? This is after a few months.

My question is; what is good practice for storing your silver coins?

I also bought a tube of lunar horses from STG and they came in a tube which I've left them in and they seemed ok to me today...

Any help appreciated!

I have my silver in ASE tubes and the square 1 oz bar tube but they don't seem air tight to me not a lover of those.Wish i stuck to 1 oz coins/rounds.i also wrap the tubes in a zip bag with a gel pouch and the sellotape the hell out of it, then it go's in an air tight lunch box with loads of gel packets, then it goes inside a lidded plastic bucket.

The plastic bucket has paid off already when i had a water leak and the stack stayed dry even though all around it was wet and black mold.I have had no issues due to storage this way ,my stack is stored in a very cold place at times and i have had no issues storing this way.

OK its not glamorous but i am a stacker not a collector. 

I don't really worry now too much about storage. I did at the start, but not now. When I sell my stack, it will be to a dealer, and if a few bits are toned or spotted, I'm just going to get the polish or the dip out, to tart them up.

My proofs are just chucked in a plastic tub, and when they get sold, (if ever), they will be sold as is. It seems collectors of proofs give a bit more leeway when it comes to toning etc. 

I can't be bothered with all this vacuum packing and gel sachets. I've spent way too much money on storage items, (£359.03), which is ridiculous. That amount is more than 5% of my entire silver stack cost. Silver is expensive enough, without adding more on top just to keep it looking pretty. I mean, the Air tite coin capsules are about 40p each. You stick a £15 silver coin in it, and already you've added another 2.5% to your cost. Madness.

My future silver buying, (apart from the proofs), is going to be in full tubes, (20's or 25's). These will them be stuck in a big plastic tub. I do not intend to pay out a single penny more for the storing of my stack . Well apart from maybe another £10 plastic tub in about 5 years time.

I like to see coins in capsules because, well, I just like the way they look. Well presented. I also think that this may make them easier to sell later on. Not if you are selling to a dealer though, probably.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Just what makes you happy. Make that your priority, as when you come to sell to like minded collectors, it is likely to make them happy to! :)

Yeti

You might want to look through this thread some interesting ways to store your coins.

I think it is a personal thing, I have gone through several iterations of coin storage methods.

I now have the vast majority in tubes in monster boxes, the proofs, carded, boxed cons are just in bags.

I remove all the coins from their original tube and put them in the ones in the picture they are then sealed and labelled.

http://thesilverforum.com/topic/115-how-do-you-store-your-coins/?hl=%2Bstore+%2Byour+%2Bcoins

post-50-0-74664700-1421510645_thumb.jpg

Yeti

You might want to look through this thread some interesting ways to store your coins.

I think it is a personal thing, I have gone through several iterations of coin storage methods.

I now have the vast majority in tubes in monster boxes, the proofs, carded, boxed cons are just in bags.

I remove all the coins from their original tube and put them in the ones in the picture they are then sealed and labelled.

http://thesilverforum.com/topic/115-how-do-you-store-your-coins/?hl=%2Bstore+%2Byour+%2Bcoins

Would sir be so kind to as to point me in the direction of the tubes and box? (Not jealous of your storage...much!)

I think some people worry about storage too much ( myself included) when my dad gave me his collection they had all just been kept up his loft in boxes for 40 odd years.

Proofs and specimens just in their original cases (the older ones obviuosly are not even in capsules) , bullion in plastic coin wallets and old circulated silver coins just loose in wooden trays with lids.

The whole collection is in pretty amazing condition . No marks whatsoever on any of the bullion (not even the older maples) no toning on any of the capsuled proofs only very slight toning on some of the old uncapsuled proofs. Even the circulated silver is in very good nick and a lot of the rarer ones (morgans , crowns, florins , trade dollars etc) were kept in 1960s pvc wallets and I think there is only one coin with any signs of verdi gris.

But saying that as soon as he gave me them I capsuled and cased the bigger coins and I'm in the process of sorting and putting the good grade smaller silver into flips. Does make you wonder whether we are going about it all the wrong way though

were kept in 1960s pvc wallets and I think there is only one coin with any signs of verdi gris.

Thats interesting. I have been trying to find the link to an article that i read a few years back in respect of the reaction of silver to the PVC flips. It was a semi technical paper and was focusing just as much on the chemical softeners that were added to the PVC  as much as the PVC itself. The conclusion was very much a case that in a temperature stable environment, low humidity, and no direct sunlight the PVC flips were not the demons they have been made out to be. 

I bought some 1oz bulion coins (10eagles,3maples,3 brits) off a dealer just over a couple of years ago they were in those clear pvc sheets that come out of coin albums. Not one of the coins has any milk spots or defects and that includes 3 maples and they are still in the sheet.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I think the coins I got off my dad would prove that theory , the only ones with bad tarnishing is a 1940s proof (specimen) set which have gone almost black in places and I can only assume that they have reacted in some way with the materials what the original royal mint case is made of , sort of velvet lined affair

Archived