• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

If you stack gold and silver, what's a good strategy?

jmichael99

That depends on the total of silver and gold you want. The more you have altogether, the lower the silver part should be, thus a formula x ox of silver to y oz of gold can only work as first approximation. The further answers you will hear will also all tell you "well it depends".

The questions asked will be similar to this:

For how long to you want to keep them (how old are you), why do you buy them (pension, crisis - that would be a bit late now, trading etc)

Do you want to be flexible with moving a lot of wealth around?

How much space do you have in case you want to keep it yourself?

Do you want more speculation (silver) or a more stable price ?

And so on

There is one German PM dealer on youtube who always comes up with the figure 80 to 20 (gold to silver) but I'm not sure what it's based on to be honest.

From what i have heard the gold coins for you to get are the Gold Eagle, the Maple and the Buffalo. i would say the Eagle is the coin of choice. i heard this on a recent Kitko video - these were the gold coins which people go for which means when you come to sell these will be the most liquid. i see some gold coins just don't sell well but basic sovereigns sell all day long on this forum. Most of the buyers are in the UK and we love our sovereigns - we also do not pay any Capital Gains Tax when we sell UK legal tender coins - the sovereign is still a legal tender £1.

A 100:1 would be something to aim for. When you hit 100:1 you can reassess. If the old US coins come your way at decent prices they are always popular and definitely worth a bit more premium. i really like them. 

Gold is so much easier to sell for a decent price. It is so much easier to store. i know people who have sold off their silver simply b/c it takes up too much space - you could have $100's thousands in gold in a shoe box. If you needed to run or you needed to sew coins into your coat as has happened in the past, then gold is the go to metal. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

gold and silver are completely different so should be

treated separately.

gold is safe haven, stack as much safe haven:gold as

you need.

silver is speculative, stack based on your requirement/

risk tolerance for speculation.

the gsr means nothing. customise your stack based on

your own unique requirements for each metal.

HH

3 hours ago, sixgun said:

How much do you consider are insane premiums?

With the current situation i believe we are in the reset now - the spot prices do not reflect the physical market or demand - do you think the current mess will resolve quickly? Do you expect demand to fall, stay at this level or rise?

3 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

That depends on the total of silver and gold you want. The more you have altogether, the lower the silver part should be, thus a formula x ox of silver to y oz of gold can only work as first approximation. The further answers you will hear will also all tell you "well it depends".

The questions asked will be similar to this:

For how long to you want to keep them (how old are you), why do you buy them (pension, crisis - that would be a bit late now, trading etc)

Do you want to be flexible with moving a lot of wealth around?

How much space do you have in case you want to keep it yourself?

Do you want more speculation (silver) or a more stable price ?

And so on

There is one German PM dealer on youtube who always comes up with the figure 80 to 20 (gold to silver) but I'm not sure what it's based on to be honest.

2 hours ago, sixgun said:

From what i have heard the gold coins for you to get are the Gold Eagle, the Maple and the Buffalo. i would say the Eagle is the coin of choice. i heard this on a recent Kitko video - these were the gold coins which people go for which means when you come to sell these will be the most liquid. i see some gold coins just don't sell well but basic sovereigns sell all day long on this forum. Most of the buyers are in the UK and we love our sovereigns - we also do not pay any Capital Gains Tax when we sell UK legal tender coins - the sovereign is still a legal tender £1.

A 100:1 would be something to aim for. When you hit 100:1 you can reassess. If the old US coins come your way at decent prices they are always popular and definitely worth a bit more premium. i really like them. 

Gold is so much easier to sell for a decent price. It is so much easier to store. i know people who have sold off their silver simply b/c it takes up too much space - you could have $100's thousands in gold in a shoe box. If you needed to run or you needed to sew coins into your coat as has happened in the past, then gold is the go to metal. 

2 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

gold and silver are completely different so should be

treated separately.

gold is safe haven, stack as much safe haven:gold as

you need.

silver is speculative, stack based on your requirement/

risk tolerance for speculation.

the gsr means nothing. customise your stack based on

your own unique requirements for each metal.

HH

I have a could different reasons I buy silver and thinking of getting into gold.  

A. Economy goes to c**p - PM's would go through the roof

B. SHTF - it would become the new currency at some point

C. I just like collecting valuable stuff lol

I'd forget about silver and just buy gold.

just buy any cheap gold with the lowest premium,  but be careful who you buy it from so you don't end up with fakes in your stack.

I only buy from reputable London dealers like Hatton garden metals, sharps Pixley, Gerrards and ATS Bullion but sharps Pixley are my absolute favourite.

the silver forum is also a good place to buy gold but I only buy  from stablished members with good feedbacks and avoid ebay.

In terms of what coins to buy I mainly like 1 oz coins/bars and if I buy smaller coins I only buy sovereigns, but as I said I don't like to  pay high premium on gold, so every time I buy gold I just look for the cheapest piece of gold that I can find out there with the lowest premium possible but I also don't risk buying from someone that I don't know just because they are offering me a good price, you don't wanna buy a fake coin for the sake of saving £20-£30 .

Good luck and hurry up buying gold 😅

25 minutes ago, jmichael99 said:

A. Economy goes to c**p - PM's would go through the roof

stock market drops by 20%+ what did silver do?

what did gold do? it's not pm's that is the safe haven,

it's only gold that is the safe haven. silver is speculative.

you should decide how much you want in safe haven and

how much you want in speculation.

HH

1 minute ago, Nick1368 said:

I'd forget about silver and just buy gold.

just buy any cheap gold with the lowest premium,  but be careful who you buy it from so you don't end up with fakes in your stack.

I only buy from reputable London dealers like Hatton garden metals, sharps Pixley, Gerrards and ATS Bullion but sharps Pixley are my absolute favourite.

the silver forum is also a good place to buy gold but I only buy  from stablished members with good feedbacks and avoid ebay.

In terms of what coins to buy I mainly like 1 oz coins/bars and if I buy smaller coins I only buy sovereigns, but as I said I don't like to  pay high premium on gold, so every time I buy gold I just look for the cheapest piece of gold that I can find out there with the lowest premium possible but I also don't risk buying from someone that I don't know just because they are offering me a good price, you don't wanna buy a fake coin for the sake of saving £20-£30 .

Good luck and hurry up buying gold 😅

I only buy from jmbullion, apmex, or modern coin mart.

Im debating between 1/4oz-1oz coins.  1oz would be cheaper than 4 1/4 or 2 1/2 but if I do 1/4 I can start getting sooner.

34 minutes ago, jmichael99 said:

Im debating between 1/4oz-1oz coins.  1oz would be cheaper than 4 1/4 or 2 1/2 but if I do 1/4 I can start getting sooner.

yeah those are all great dealers.

if you have the funds ready go for 1oz instead of 1/4 or 1/2 oz.

if you don't have enough funds for 1 oz coins then buy 1/4 or any other fractional coins because if you wait, spot price might jump massively and you will regret not buying smaller coins when you had the chance, also once you start buying coins it gives you a very good motivation to work harder, earn more money and save your money better, just because you have a purpose of buying more gold and making your stack bigger, that is how it works for me.

Gold always brings out the best in me and helps me to be more active, more energetic, more focused and more productive at my work.

I  ****ing love gold 😁

11 hours ago, jmichael99 said:

This is why everyone piles into sovereigns, near 1/4 oz for premiums similar to 1oz (and then the collecting starts...).  If a mint pushed out a 1/4 with markup allowing a ~5% premium they'd be instant hit.

15 hours ago, sixgun said:

I agree with you which is why I don’t waste my time or money chasing up the gold-to-silver ratio anymore. I’ve got four tubes of 1oz silver coins and that’s my lot. The two major problems I have with silver is that it takes up too much space and it’s ridiculously inexpensive even if you don’t compare it with gold. The 20% VAT charged on silver means it will take you a zillion years to just break even on silver.

Archived