• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Price

coppernut

Hello all,

I have just seen a victoria young head 1878 sovereign for sale in a cash for gold shop

near me, in the window £220, to me this seems like a good price.

But i was wondering what other more qualified members think of this price?

It is not a shield back, by the way.

cheers

Hello all,

I have just seen a victoria young head 1878 sovereign for sale in a cash for gold shop

But i was wondering what other more qualified members think of this price?

It is not a shield back, by the way.

cheers

1878 G&D reverse, not exciting in any way, only worth basic bullion sovereign value unless at least EF grade.

I'll sell you a shield for not much more than that, PM if you're interested.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

You can buy them from goldline for £208 + delivery here

Unless it's in almost perfect condition then id give it a pass. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Many thanks Steve & Kman

Unfortunately, i went out shortly after posting the OP

and i bought it....oops

Steve, and its not in  EF either.

An expensive lesson learned :angry:

Moral of today.......Wait for Arshi to get some :)

Cheers fellas, appreciate your input

An expensive lesson learned :angry:

It's around inline with what you might expect to pay so it's not too bad

Looking on Ebay they seem to sell for £215+ at least, not including postage

Goldline seem to have the best price at £208 but then again, + postage

I think it's an ok price.  

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

It's around inline with what you might expect to pay so it's not too bad

Looking on Ebay they seem to sell for £215+ at least, not including postage

Goldline seem to have the best price at £208 but then again, + postage

I think it's an ok price.  

Pheew, cheers Kman

So at least i wasnt completely mugged off.

Thanks mate for your input

Yes I was being a little harsh perhaps. They do command a slight premium over basic 20th century coins but I just don't like them. To use the shield reverse with the young head for 30 - 40 years and then to change to a G&D design with the same head just seems wrong to me. They even overlapped for a good few years. They should have waited until they changed the head in 1887 and produced a completely new coin for QVs jubilee IMO.

I can't dislike them that much I suppose, I must have about 20 - 30 of them.

Yes I was being a little harsh perhaps. They do command a slight premium over basic 20th century coins but I just don't like them. To use the shield reverse with the young head for 30 - 40 years and then to change to a G&D design with the same head just seems wrong to me. They even overlapped for a good few years. They should have waited until they changed the head in 1887 and produced a completely new coin for QVs jubilee IMO.

I can't dislike them that much I suppose, I must have about 20 - 30 of them.

Just a few then Steve eh? :)

I just wanted to make sure that i hadn't paid way way over the top.

I know that i went in and bought it blind,

I will wait for an answer next time before rushing.

Thanks for your input Steve

Well I have been collecting sovs for a number of years. I think I'm gonna have to sell some soon, probably got too many and I seem to be getting fond of some of these round, silver things as well now! :lol:

Well I have been collecting sovs for a number of years. I think I'm gonna have to sell some soon, probably got too many and I seem to be getting fond of some of these round, silver things as well now! :lol:

I'd be interested in a Victoria shield if ur selling any Steve?

I'd be interested in a Victoria shield if ur selling any Steve?

Yes, I was thinking of selling some, so have decided to have a sort out over the weekend.

I was thinking folk here might be intested in Vic shields, 2002 shields, 2005 and 2012 alternative G&D designs.

I'll post some up next week.

Great problem to have. Too many sovereigns! I personally would be loathed to sell any. Of course when it is time the forums will be the best place to go!

Great problem to have. Too many sovereigns! I personally would be loathed to sell any. Of course when it is time the forums will be the best place to go!

There are some that I definitely will not sell unless I have to. Most I have picked up at good prices as and when they appeared without regard for duplicates etc. with the intention to sell some to fund more collectable ones.

I just never got around to selling any, it's difficult as you say!

Archived