• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold eBay £1 listings tips

Cornishfarmer

eBay is doing a £1 maximum fees on listings over this weekend.    An idea for people thinking of selling gold sovs, if you put them up in a non coins section,    Then for the last couple years eBay done a 20% off (all category except coins) On Christmas Day and NYE.   Could be a win win for both sides.   Just an idea

Even with £1 selling fee promotion you still loose around 4% with PP fees so sometimes not worth it.
Better selling for close to spot on this site with PP gift.
If a buyer can get a 20% discount that's great for the buyer but the seller doesn't gain.

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

Even with £1 selling fee promotion you still loose around 4% with PP fees so sometimes not worth it.
If a buyer can get a 20% discount that's great for the buyer but the seller doesn't gain.

Depends what it’s listed for,    If two can come to an agreement works well.   I had a few last year under spot and the seller had a better price after fees

If we are just considering pure profit, I think the £1 fees make selling more attractive on eBay versus the TSF in general. The market is far bigger and people are prepared to pay more than on here. 

Further no one on eBay seems to know what spot is, even though spot fell significantly, sovereigns regularly would sell for more on there than on TSF, certainly more than 4% which you lose to PayPal. 

Actually Pete I believe that's how I came to this forum, I bought a proof 2002 from your eBay. When time came I resold that on eBay after failing to get any sensible offers on here. It ended up selling for about £100 more than I was offered here. Ditto a 2005 proof that would not sell on here for what I wanted that was at least £70 more profit. Perhaps it was because I had no feedback on here but very positive eBay feedback. 

I'm about to test it again with a much larger coin, a 100 lire gold coin from the 1800s. So will see. 

Just as a side note, I went to my local jewellers to enquire what he may want to pay for a sovereign and gold in general. Bearing in mind I had got him to resize an engagement ring, as well as brought him some other small business, so not some random person to him. What did he offer? Oh only 50% below spot!! Oh I gotta make some money, he claimed. Yeah some fair enough, but 50% less than spot (he may of even been thinking scrap), I politely declined.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Assuming it's an auction, everyone benefits from 20% off. The bidding will go higher as the buyers know they are paying less. 

On 20/12/2019 at 10:15, Pete said:

I have seen a couple of these deals. You can set payment to other (or could) and make payment outside of pp. The buyer agrees to pay 10% more than sellers price and seller and buyer both get 10% benefit. 

selling price £100

discount 20% So actual price £80

buyer pays £90

Seller declares £80 received. Ebay gives seller the difference £20. 
Seller gets £110 

both parties walk away better? 

Need to check if they still allow the payment option, however even with ppfees this could work as long as there is two party trust. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

On 20/12/2019 at 11:51, Notafront4adragon said:

I'm about to test it again with a much larger coin, a 100 lire gold coin from the 1800

Mmmm tasty. I just lost a Facebook auction on that - fell asleep and it went for £1110 :( free delivery too sigh. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived