• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign.

CWD

Hello Everyone. I have been collectiong sovereigns for a while now. Had a question regarding why the older sovereigns have the back of St George's helmet area with a tail piece blowing in the wind. Ive noticed on modern full sovereigns  its missing but still appears on the half sovereign. Can anyone explain why this is?

1 hour ago, CWD said:

Hello Everyone. I have been collectiong sovereigns for a while now. Had a question regarding why the older sovereigns have the back of St George's helmet area with a tail piece blowing in the wind. Ive noticed on modern full sovereigns  its missing but still appears on the half sovereign. Can anyone explain why this is?

Don't know if this will help.

IMG_E1282[1].JPG

2 hours ago, CWD said:

The helmet streamer was on the original Pistrucci G&D engraving of 1817 but was omitted for the next series, the George IV Laureate head starting in 1821.

I've no idea why the change; perhaps the engraver forgot it and his boss simply liked it.

The next G&D design didn't appear until the Q. Vic YH sovereigns, without the streamer. However they re-introduced it for the Q. Vic Jubilee head and it continued until the QE2 fourth bust sovereigns starting 2009 and has been absent ever since.

Essentially I haven't a clue why they kept changing this aspect buy hey, it's the Royal Mint we're talking about here!😜

The first time a G&D reverse appeared on a half sovereign was for the Q. Vic veiled head series, with the streamer. It was present on all half sovereigns from then until the same fourth bust series starting 2009

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived