• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Unknown Gold Coin, please help indentify

Hussain

i doubt this is a coin - that is it is not legal tender anywhere. i expect this is a medal of some sort.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Thanks for reply sixgun, do you know where can I find any information online about this coin / medal?

Added 0 minutes later...
39 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i doubt this is a coin - that is it is not legal tender anywhere. i expect this is a medal of some sort.

Thanks for reply sixgun, do you know where can I find any information online about this coin / medal?

i don't know where you might look - i had a look myself and didn't find anything. Perhaps someone else here has an opinion.

Are you sure it is gold? It does look as though it is gold. What weight is it? It looks quite high relief on the obverse side (face side).

You will see the '241' on the reverse side. This appears to be separately stamped onto the medal, it does not look symmetrical enough to have been part of the die - i wonder if this is medal number 241.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

This seems to be a souvenir proclamation medal when Philip of a Bourbon was proclaimed Prince of Asturias and hereby successor to the throne; similar to the title Prince of Wales for the House of Windsor AKA Sachsen-Coburg. He is now King is Spain (along with his father who retains the title and immunity to avoid corruption trials).

http://www.rtve.es/m/alacarta/videos/archivo-casa-real/proclamacion-felipe-como-principe-asturias-covadonga/1491024/?media=tve

This does not seem to be an officially sanctioned product as it doesn't bear the coat of arms of Asturias but Oviedo (the capital of Asturias). It is possibly just a tourist souvenir and maybe 24K plated.

Before assuming it is gold you should run a specific gravity test or at least divide the mass by the calculated volume for a rough specific weight.

From the look of the quality of Philip's face i have my doubts it is a solid gold coin - the quality isn't there - the OP needs to do a specific gravity on the medal. i would not be surprised if this turned out to be plated brass.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=specific+gravity+test+gold+coin

Somewhere in this pdf, is the medal you have, (I think) I'll let you search through it.

https://www.oviedo.es/documents/25041/78942/Catálogo_Medallas_Archivo_Municipal_Oviedo.pdf/4529e55f-350b-495c-804e-d1ac8555a36c

Found it .......

Page 166

Number: 253
Inventory Number: 365
Title: FELIPE DE BORBÓN AND GREECE PRINCE OF ASTURIAS 1977
Description: Round. Medium module: 35 mm in diameter.
Obverse: Bust of Felipe de Borbón profiled to the right. Circular legend: “PHILIPPUS ASTURUM PRINCEPS
1977 ”
Reverse: Oviedo Shield. Circular legend: "LAUDATE PRINCIPES ET REGES DOMINUM"
Singing: Striated. Material: Copper Weight: 14 gr.
Year: 1977
Observations: It is accompanied by a lead test (nº 254). Col. Luis Gutiérrez Fernández.

Looks like it's copper not gold.

sf170819.JPG

That confirms my feelings on the look of the medal - well done everyone for the observational and detective work. Disappointing for the poster. 😞

Archived