• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My 1st Gold Coin - Help & Advice please

MESSIAH

On 17/08/2019 at 01:23, MESSIAH said:

I want to start my journey into collecting gold coins. 

I have seen one i really like the look of my aim is to collect 2x 1oz Gold bullion coins a year.

Obviously price is important.

Now that you have your first gold coins, I would go for buying Sovereigns (or potentially other smaller coins) instead of 2 x 1 one ounce per year. With your suggestion you need to save up 6 months for one coin. This way you can't price-average very well and you need more discipline not to spend it or a part of it before the end of the 6 months.

2 oz is ca 8.5 Sovereigns, so if in your case I would buy one full and one half Sovereign, alternately, each month. That's 6 full and half Sovereigns each, thus 9 full Sovereigns if you wish which is close to the 2 full ounces. And the premiums are only slightly higher. If it is true that we are at the beginning of a long term bull market, it will be cheaper nonetheless as you will buy at lower spot prices, in average. If we aren't, at least you price-average much better, as said.

On 20/08/2019 at 14:42, silenceissilver said:

Now that you have your first gold coins, I would go for buying Sovereigns (or potentially other smaller coins) instead of 2 x 1 one ounce per year. With your suggestion you need to save up 6 months for one coin. This way you can't price-average very well and you need more discipline not to spend it or a part of it before the end of the 6 months.

2 oz is ca 8.5 Sovereigns, so if in your case I would buy one full and one half Sovereign, alternately, each month. That's 6 full and half Sovereigns each, thus 9 full Sovereigns if you wish which is close to the 2 full ounces. And the premiums are only slightly higher. If it is true that we are at the beginning of a long term bull market, it will be cheaper nonetheless as you will buy at lower spot prices, in average. If we aren't, at least you price-average much better, as said.

That's excellent advice, many thanks..

A few months ago , I bought my first coins, (the big) 2013 and smaller 2015 1oz Britannias, and got my three 224GBP Sovereigns off H&B.  More Sovereigns next I feel, ..but is it always best to just get "minted" coins rather than nice but used ones?  

Cheers..

6 hours ago, WAG333 said:

That's excellent advice, many thanks..

A few months ago , I bought my first coins, (the big) 2013 and smaller 2015 1oz Britannias, and got my three 224GBP Sovereigns off H&B.  More Sovereigns next I feel, ..but is it always best to just get "minted" coins rather than nice but used ones?  

Cheers..

Personally I prefer to get a variety of bullion sovereigns, not sure if there is a better way.

Archived