• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Safes and PM storage

tallyhojim

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember watching one of those crime and investigation documentarys on TV and some disabled bloke had been robbed and killed and his large green parrot killed also, there was blood absolutely everywhere, when forensics entered they discovered most of the blood spread throughout the flat was not the owners, nor the parrots, and when they checked the parrot it had blood all around its beak and someones eyeball in its claws, the robber was caught after admitting himself to hospital with a missing eye and a face ripped to shreds, turns out he had broken into the disabled mans house, and attacked and killed the man, the mans parrot then went to town on the thief before it was also killed, that's impressive, wish I could find the article.

4 hours ago, adamthetaller said:

The advent of loft conversions has probably put paid to that escape route these days - house hunting a few years ago and there wasn't a single unconverted terrace to be found (not that I was looking for one).

Oh you lived in the posh end...lol.

I'd recommend looking at lockpicklawer on YouTube, he shows how easy it is to open most safes with a certain type of lock by buying a little 5£ tool on Amazon (no skill needed). So make sure you dont get one of those.

Also get something heavy and hide it some where and bolt it down to a concrete floor or into some breeze block. ideally in an hard to access area like a basement or attic, a circular saw will rip open most safes in a matter of 20-30 seconds, and a drill with tungsten bits can drill locks and or bolts through relatively quickly. 

Consider a small cheap safe and put that some where obvious but only fill it with rubbish like a little bit of foreign currency and some old passports, couple of pointless utility Bill's etc, hope is a thief will see that and take that and think hes got your stuff mean while your proper safe has remained unseen. 

Alot of the main / major brands are the worst for security products. 

Make your house less of a target in the first place, put some cameras up even if they are duds, I dont believe some one should get a dog for security as to me they are pets, but my lovely pet dalmatian comes with a set of 3/4 inch canines and makes a lot of noise which is good deterrent.

Put some signage up which states your alarm is auto connected to a security firm which phones police,Even if you havent.

You want the thief to look at your property and instantly think too high risk, I'll go else where. 

On a wacky idea get a DWA license, and some sort of venomous snake, store your metal in the snakes vivarium, takes big gonads to put your hand in there to take that silver kook.

6 minutes ago, R2DANIO2 said:

I'd recommend looking at lockpicklawer on YouTube, he shows how easy it is to open most safes with a certain type of lock by buying a little 5£ tool on Amazon (no skill needed). So make sure you dont get one of those.

Also get something heavy and hide it some where and bolt it down to a concrete floor or into some breeze block. ideally in an hard to access area like a basement or attic, a circular saw will rip open most safes in a matter of 20-30 seconds, and a drill with tungsten bits can drill locks and or bolts through relatively quickly. 

Consider a small cheap safe and put that some where obvious but only fill it with rubbish like a little bit of foreign currency and some old passports, couple of pointless utility Bill's etc, hope is a thief will see that and take that and think hes got your stuff mean while your proper safe has remained unseen. 

Make your house less of a target in the first place, put some cameras up even if they are duds, I dont believe some one should get a dog for security as to me they are pets, but my lovely pet dalmatian comes with a set of 3/4 inch canines and makes a lot of noise which is good deterrent.

Put some signage up which states your alarm is auto connected to a security firm which phones police,Even if you havent.

You want the thief to look at your property and instantly think too high risk, I'll go else where. 

On a wacky idea get a DWA license, and some sort of venomous snake, store your metal in the snakes vivarium, takes big gonads to put your hand in there to take that silver kook.

Mate did you see his Ben & Jerrys ice cream tub lock that his missus managed to get into, that had me and the missus in stitches.

10 minutes ago, R2DANIO2 said:

Great comments. And folks most of the tools he is talking about, you can get quite powerful cordless versions that run on lithium batteries now. Very portable and easy for a knowledgable thief to use.

25 years back as a professional photographer I had £17k of gear. The insurance company insisted it was kept secure. I had a converted Chub gun safe in the loft fastened to the roof perlins. To get in to the loft needed two keys.

The two locks to the loft proved a godsend when junior and I were hiding from SHMBO. Our excuse was we were printing photographs, the sound system meant we couldn’t hear her.

5 minutes ago, TonyS said:

25 years back as a professional photographer I had £17k of gear. The insurance company insisted it was kept secure. I had a converted Chub gun safe in the loft fastened to the roof perlins. To get in to the loft needed two keys.

The two locks to the loft proved a godsend when junior and I were hiding from SHMBO. Our excuse was we were printing photographs, the sound system meant we couldn’t hear her.

I prefer the dead phone in the car excuse...only one key and I get to go to the movies.

Ok yeah this post has really brought the pro protection, pro pitbull and pro gun side out in me. Having a safe and actually being safe cover a lot of ground. For all those that agree .. enjoy. 

Even if a pitbull dies, it is not afraid... 

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kvBMJ_1558234284

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kOXZY_1560573474

Pitbull athleticism.. Mute out the bad music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqUamEOF0kI

I know I've gone way off topic. But at the same time how much have I? This is a breed that was born essentially in Staffordshire. The Bull and Terrier more or less. You guys are getting invaded and thrown off of your axis in a number of ways. I would hope that all of you in the UK couldn't be more proud of the best dog lineage to ever be bred. We have run with it and then some over here in the states. Protect you family, your homes and your wealth my friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7oDygeb1I

3 hours ago, Ablist said:

I know I've gone way off topic. But at the same time how much have I? This is a breed that was born essentially in Staffordshire. The Bull and Terrier more or less. You guys are getting invaded and thrown off of your axis in a number of ways. I would hope that all of you in the UK couldn't be more proud of the best dog lineage to ever be bred. We have run with it and then some over here in the states. Protect you family, your homes and your wealth my friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7oDygeb1I

I was born in Stafford shire and live in the states and I'd be wary of those dogs....love them, yes, trust them???.

6 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

I was born in Stafford shire and live in the states and I'd be wary of those dogs....love them, yes, trust them???.

Agreed. You can only trust them if they know you are pack leader and have worked with them. When that's the case, absolutely I would trust them over most humans. The next mans pitbull not at all. They are a force to be reckoned when you don't have their loyalty, no doubt.

Archived