• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Silver Proof Coins

DeanMills83

I was given some coins the otherday from a family member, most silver proofs made by the royal mint, some with coa some without.

I wanted to know... If it's worth collecting Royal Mint silver proofs, Will it be worth it in the long run? is it worth me keeping these?

Here are some of the coins i was given...

Sorry about the poor camera quality lol

post-323-0-74887300-1421456217_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-34356100-1421456270_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-05157900-1421456293_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-68035700-1421456320_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-85729500-1421456352_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-98938600-1421456383_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-81543300-1421456414_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-51072100-1421456446_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-60565400-1421456470_thumb.jpg

I have some of those coins or some very very similar in my silver stack.

I do not really see them as my core stack as I predominantly only buy mine from my local supplier and typically get them at spot or just over.

They are worth keeping because they are .925 silver and if they are for free then that will bring your average £/oz way down. As for buying anymore I would give it a miss unless you can get them for silly money.

Just buy the modern coins, I would have thought a Panda, Lunar coin etc would fair better a few years down the line.

One of them states I think  "Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Her parents home St Paul's Walden Bury". I paid £10 for it and it is a proof coin.

It is too difficult to make the others out.

Hope this helps.

And don't forget this is only my opinion.

There are very few collectors of these coins today, so don't expect them to be worth too much over spot. You can buy them all regularly on Ebay for around the £15-£18 mark

Seconded.

There are a few that I bought recently, but only for nostalgic reasons.

Even low mintage sets don't do very well in general.

Stacker since 2013

I'd agree with all the above,but if you like them or have an interest in royalty themed silver proofs they are a bargain at not much over spot.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Seconded.

There are a few that I bought recently, but only for nostalgic reasons.

Even low mintage sets don't do very well in general.

Most of these types of coins are about 20-30 years old, and no doubt would have been highly collectable when they were released. Today, no one collects them and you never make any big money on them. But, it makes me wonder about todays "must have" coins, such as pandas and lunars etc. Will these coins go the same way in the future, Will prices drop big time, as collectors in the future ignore them in order to buy the "must haves" of 2040

I have this gut feeling that keeping hold of todays high premium coins for a long time may not be a wise financial move, and maybe flipping them after 5-10 years might give you the highest return on your original outlay.

In your position I would sell and put the proceeds to a nice piece of silver I really wanted, assuming no sentimental value is held by the coins.

Just had a look at them online and there's certainly no shortage of em! They seem to have gone the way of the Hummel figurine, I'd still sell them though and put the cash to a piece of bullion with a higher premium than I'd normally pay.

Did they do a plated version for the horse?

Ebayers may need to be careful with these in case they think they are getting a bargain should someone stick one up for £600 loose.

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Lunar_Year_of_the_Sheep_2015_UK_Gold_Plated_One_Ounce_Proof_Coin

Come on, get into the ebay spirit. This is not a gold plated coin, It is a ...................................

"RARE, RARE, RARE, UK Lunar Year of the Sheep, 1 ounce Solid Gold layered  Proof Coin, with box and certificate, RARER than Kew Gardens 50p. RARE RARE RARE"

Archived