• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gloves

silversword

So, everyone knows that unless you are handling your very first silver, or have a particular coin which you reserve for playing with, the "done thing" is to wear soft white cotton gloves, to avoid fingerprints, dirt and chemicals from causing surface marks (and if you didn't know that already, you do now).

Questions then:

How long should a pair reasonably last before they are practically as bad as bare hands? As they are cotton, is there any harm in machine-washing them? Have you ever had gloves on and marked a coin as a result of dirty gloves? Am I a cheapskate?

So, everyone knows that unless you are handling your very first silver, or have a particular coin which you reserve for playing with, the "done thing" is to wear soft white cotton gloves, to avoid fingerprints, dirt and chemicals from causing surface marks (and if you didn't know that already, you do now).

Questions then:

How long should a pair reasonably last before they are practically as bad as bare hands? As they are cotton, is there any harm in machine-washing them? Have you ever had gloves on and marked a coin as a result of dirty gloves? Am I a cheapskate?

What about disposable latex gloves as once you have used them they go straight into the bin? No chance of contaminating a coin with them.

Pretty sure latex is one of the worst possible materials; rubber in general will leave trace chemicals on the silver which cause tarnishing.

Never realised that, thanks for the info. Glad then I've not used them on my coins.

Humid storage conditions are a greater threat than short term physical touching. A silver cloth is sufficient to remove any residue from your greasy mitts.

Don't know about latex, but as SS says sulphur in rubber will cause tarnish.

Wear gloves if you wish, but a silver cloth will suffice.

If you want to be really strict you shouldn't store in an oak cabinet/chest.....or on baize :)

Source: long time collector of silver medals.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Humid storage conditions are a greater threat than short term physical touching. A silver cloth is sufficient to remove any residue from your greasy mitts.

Don't know about latex, but as SS says sulphur in rubber will cause tarnish.

Wear rubber gloves if you wish, but a silver cloth will suffice.

If you want to be really strict you shouldn't store in an oak cabinet/chest.....or on baize :)

Source: long time collector of silver medals.

Good tips there BB.

I wouldn't recommend silver cloths on proofs though, it can leave clouding that is visible in some light conditions.

I think wearing gloves is the best idea, and use silver cloths if any "mishaps" occur.

Stacker since 2013

You are probably right for proofs Danny, especially after paying such a premium. Wise to protect your investment.

With medals, the history of the recipient will often outweigh condition. With proofs I imagine condition is king.

(I have also edited my typo re rubber gloves).

Bogbrush, not really sure about the oak issue. You get a lot of purists who want to store items as the museums do. Maybe if you hold an item as long as they do, oak will tarnish more than pine. Short term...?

I have always stored mine in a safe with a few bags of silica gel with no sign of tarnish.

The only thing I have noticed is that after a few years in some of those individual plastic pouches, is that they get a bit sweaty and start to get a green hue. Easily removed with a quick dip in Goddard and a warm water rinse.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

The sole purpose of gloves is to keep your greasy fingers away from the metal.

Provided you keep your gloves clean and maybe in a bag when not in use I don't see the need to wash your gloves for a long time.

Cotton will absorb sweat and grease etc and this will tend to be on the inside and not the outside.

You might wish to consider using finger cots for handling coins but I find they can store moisture very quickly so prefer cotton gloves.

Think of underpants - how many wears can you get before changing them ?

Use that for your gloves and you will not go wrong.

Underpants? One wear, Pete. Just one. I see some shocking penny-pinching on here but I draw the line at not having fresh underwear every day.

It's ok Pete, I've got this.  Silversword:

Day 1:  Fresh undies.

Day 2:  Twist 180 degrees.

Day 3:  Turn inside out.

Day 4:  Rinse and repeat.

Not recommended after a vindaloo though.

(Mods, if I'm straying too far topic just let me know, happy to start a pants thread)

I don't know what's more concerning; the fact you poo your pants after a curry, or the fact that you can only manage a vindaloo - do they not do a phaal round your way?

I laughed so hard at that comment that I had to perform Day 3's step on Day 2, if you get my drift.

Anyway in a futile attempt to rescue this thread; Gloves, love 'em.

Think I will pop a pair in on a 40 degree cotton cycle and see how they fare. That's the gloves by the way...

Doing your bit for global warming ?

Try wearing them whilst washing them by hand in a basin of hand-hot water with a little detergent - much quicker and will save the planet.

Rinse well and dry naturally to avoid shrinkage.

Archived