• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half crowns and other coins

StackingItAll

Hi all wondering if I can get advice on picking up old coins with silver content. Is there a year in UK I should be looking for like 1947 what coins should I look out for I can only see half crowns that have content in them so far but I'm sure there are more. This is completely new territory to me bit something that's interesting me thanks.

5 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

Did you scroll down?

Now that would be sensible which is something that escapes me at best of times will scroll now :)

Added 0 minutes later...
5 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

If you're interested in numismatic coins, you'll need to learn to grade them and get hold of a catalogue; Spink or similar.

More in just the coins themselves not condition etc maybe date runs on them.

I just mean if you see a group of coins for sale.

To get the most accurate value you could separate the .925 coins into a group and weigh them,, then get the 50% silver coins and weigh them.

That way you know you aren't losing out on worn coins.

There is a calculator on that site too.    https://www.bullionspotprice.com/jewelry-valuation

42 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

I just mean if you see a group of coins for sale.

To get the most accurate value you could separate the .925 coins into a group and weigh them,, then get the 50% silver coins and weigh them.

That way you know you aren't losing out on worn coins.

There is a calculator on that site too.    https://www.bullionspotprice.com/jewelry-valuation

Ah got you thanks for that will look into it cheers.

3 minutes ago, Willike said:

Ah got you thanks for that will look into it cheers didn't realise there were 925 coins too. What are they please?

2 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

Here you go.   Change the setting to £.

Basically any UK silver coins up to 1919   are .925   1920 - 46   are 50%

https://www.bullionspotprice.com/silver

So any coins before 1919 are .925 Sterling :) 

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

Be aware even the worn examples will attract a substantial numismatic premium over spot.  There are bargains to be found under "scrap" category, even then premiums of 20%.  I'm partial to the George V Florin and Victoria Crowns, like having big sovereigns cheap. 

4 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Be aware even the worn examples will attract a substantial numismatic premium over spot.  There are bargains to be found under "scrap" category, even then premiums of 20%.  I'm partial to the George V Florin and Victoria Crowns, like having big sovereigns cheap. 

Yeah the .925 pre 1920 coins rarely show up near spot.   - But  Pre 1947 50% coins are probably the best way to get silver coins at spot.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived