• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Provident metals 2oz rounds

StackemHigh

My son picked up 3 of the Privateers on the secondary market for $40 each.  He's sold a couple on eBay for a small profit but still hasn't sold the third.  It appears that while still collectible the premiums on most of the coin series have dropped somewhat.  My gut feeling is that the collecting intensity for this series (Privateer) has already peaked and so have the premiums.  Recent sales on eBay run between $40 to $55 with a couple of the series bringing higher prices.  Provident is selling them for around $50, so it looks like there's not much profit left for the secondary market. 

Do any of you actually believe that you can make real money flipping these privately minted rounds? Flipping them to make a $5 or $10 dollar profit per coin? Maybe even less which is mind blowing to me to put so much effort to flip these for so little return.

The first 2 Egyptian rounds have been selling for a high premium on Ebay, as they are kind of hard to find otherwise.  The newer ones are still being sold by Provident @ around $42-$44, so they already have a premium out the gate.  I like this set and I like building sets so I will continue to collect the Egyptian series, but I didn't go for the privateer ones.

I think collecting wise they are great, but I wouldn't stack them as pure bullion.  There are many options out there with less of a premium.  Who knows how the secondary market will be on the newer ones once provident stops selling them?

16 hours ago, 999magnum said:

Do any of you actually believe that you can make real money flipping these privately minted rounds? Flipping them to make a $5 or $10 dollar profit per coin? Maybe even less which is mind blowing to me to put so much effort to flip these for so little return.

It depends on your definition of "real money".  Is it enough to quit my day job?  Probably not.  But I'm a hobbyist stacker so if I flip 2 of those at $10 each, I can add an oz to my stack AND have fun doing it.  So in my hobbyist stacker world, 1 oz of silver traded for "labor in the hobby" is "real money".  I don't have a lot of discretionary income to spend on the hobby, so flipping coins helps to grow my stack.  I'm not suggesting this is for everyone, but it works for me and my circumstances.

1 hour ago, lmwstamps said:

It depends on your definition of "real money".  Is it enough to quit my day job?  Probably not.  But I'm a hobbyist stacker so if I flip 2 of those at $10 each, I can add an oz to my stack AND have fun doing it.  So in my hobbyist stacker world, 1 oz of silver traded for "labor in the hobby" is "real money".  I don't have a lot of discretionary income to spend on the hobby, so flipping coins helps to grow my stack.  I'm not suggesting this is for everyone, but it works for me and my circumstances.

I think everyone has done what you do or will do in the future. What I was referring to is what the OP was asking and I think he was not asking about selling a couple of rounds.

My question was aimed at the collection of these rounds from an artistic point of view. 

How many folk here like each of the series? Would collect any of them? And how many of issues in each series would be appreciated? 

Indeed how many have been released in each series? Mintage totals on any of these 2oz rounds? 

37 minutes ago, Tak1986 said:

I have always been interested in Egyptian stuff so these rounds are on my list to get.

I like these Provident Egyptian Gods Rounds and have collected all three so far, and have the fourth on order.

Here in the UK, premiums are hefty, we pay same for them in GB£ as they sell in US$!

Here’s some info on the Egyptian Gods Series:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/blog.providentmetals.com/featured-products/egyptian-gods-continues-with-sobek.htm/amp

Archived