• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is there a benefit to having a personal GSR ratio?

lmwstamps

The title says it all.  Another thread contains a discussion of a personal ration.  Having recently considered implementing a personal ration, I'm wondering on its benefits.  For those who have one, what purpose does it serve in your stacking?  A more disciplined approach?  Diversifying?  Something else?  What factors do you consider when establishing your personal ratio?

I think it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Those that want to play the GSR ratio are better off doing it in the paper markets over physical.

I think large volumes of silver will prove to be a pain in the ass to shift as dealers will offer a spot based price minus VAT (silver also has much higher premiums even on bullion compared to gold)

Gold is easy to shift in bulk, dealers will take any volumes of bullion with a close to spot offer.

Silver is like a soft gateway drug.  You get hooked on silver then move on to the class A expensive stuff - Gold

It has benefits yes. It partly depends on your understanding of each investment as to how much you want to invest into each. Once this is decided, a personal GSR helps automate the accumulation process somewhat, the idea being to avoid become over invested in one asset. It can also be used as a target, spuring one on to get more of either metal to meet the desired GSR.  

Personally I see precious metals as an asset group with each metal having different characteristics that I would like exposure to. I group them to balance against stocks and cash equivalents for the sake of diversification, as I know better nowadays than to think my understanding of any of the asset classes is fully reliable. I don't use a GSR as such, I track percentages of exposure to each metal, including platinum, but the end result is effectively the same. 

gold and silver are completely different investments in terms

of strategy. (silver might even be considered more speculation

than investment). their risk, time frame are very different. it's

like apples to oranges ratio(and then claiming they are both

fruit). what you buy should be based on your strategy. cheap

can get cheaper and loading up on lots of unwanted stuff for

long periods of time is not usually part of most peoples

strategy. gsr is just another indicator. refining your strategy to

better suit your unique abilities may produce better returns.

HH

Archived