• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake coins

realbluegold

A very high quality looking fake getting round one "legal tender" counterfeit law by not stating a dollar face value but is still states 1 oz 999 silver so the seller should be prosecuted.

Lots of these and similar on eBay with sellers describing as plated etc.

Unfortunately, once out in public the traceability is lost and the buyer of a fake described as plated might unknowingly, at a later date sell it as the genuine coin.

Note- eBay doesn't give a sh*t so buyer beware !

To try and make it a bit less illegal. If it's not there on the coin then the seller could - arguably - say that it clearly does not have 1 dollar on it so it's buyer beware & their fault for not inspecting it accurately, this teamed up with the usual cladding/layered nonsense.

Presumably it's more defendable from the seller POV than a coin trying to accurately depict a real one.

• 2 months later...

I was caught out on Ebay with a supposed silver 1oz Scottsdale Niue Island bar.

After watching a clip on You Tube on how to spot a fake, I purchased a small set of scales.

The bar weighed 30.45 grams, one gram under.

Out came the file and took a small piece off the side to reveal the brass underneath the plating.

The seller claimed not to have known it was a fake, even though he had used someone else's photo of the bar that linked back to a previous seller who advertised the bars as replica.

Nearly lost £18. Just imagine going through the same scenario with a gold bar....OUCH..!post-312-0-75536500-1414493768_thumb.jpg

After watching a clip on You Tube on how to spot a fake, I purchased a small set of scales.

Out came the file and took a small piece off the side to reveal the brass underneath the plating.

The seller claimed not to have known it was a fake, even though he had used someone else's photo of the bar that linked back to a previous seller who advertised the bars as replica.

Nearly lost £18. Just imagine going through the same scenario with a gold bar....OUCH..!attachicon.gifSilver plated brass bar.jpg

I was selling these same bars when they first came out.

I bought them from a bullion dealer in Australia.

Unfortunately I ended up melting all of them as I was accused of selling fakes on ebay.

Generic 1oz silver bars are now a very poor investment as there are so many fakes about.

Nearly lost £18. Just imagine going through the same scenario with a gold bar....OUCH..!attachicon.gifSilver plated brass bar.jpg

Does it include the security feature and does it work as it's supposed to?

Just looking at it I can see it's a fake but that's because I know what a genuine one looks like.  Obviously for those who don't, it makes it that little bit more awkward having to check and do tests.

the 1 ounce bars are quite easy to spot

if the corner radius is small its generally a fake and if the thickness is over 2.5 its a fake

mainly for..

silvertowne bars

sunshine bars

morgan bars

nwt bar

also the fonts are different if you have a real one to compare to

I didn't do my homework on the silver bar beforehand :(

As soon as I saw a genuine one the differences were obvious, so it's a lesson learnt.

Thanks for the info on the fake bars, more prepared now.

http://silverbullbullion.co.uk/Silverbull/product/1-oz-silver-bar-scottsdale-coin-bar-2013-2-niue-999/

Oh dear, the site sponsor is using images of the fake/replica bar on it's website.

These were the exact images that were used on my Ebay purchase.

Compare it to the images of the original on Scottsdale's site

https://www.scottsdalesilver.com/store/product.php?productid=17521&cat=249&page=1

Archived