• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Cabinet - Premium Auction 109

Evening!

Coin Cabinet’s latest Premium Auction has just gone live.

Some interesting coins including a 2021 Plain Edge Gothic Quartered Arms. Only 125 minted! Probably a bargain for someone in the end, I would think.

Anyone in for anything? I have my eyes on a few things! Some lovely early Victoria silver, half sovereigns and a beautiful selection of farthings! 

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

The only problem (for me) is they don’t describe the condition of coins, unless no mention of condition is supposed to be taken as no issues? That’s a risky assumption to make. 😅 

They do describe the condition. Are you thinking of another auction house?

Any coin that is not slabbed by a third party grading service is described in pretty accurate terms. I have never personally had issues. I don’t buy cleaned coins so for me this is important. For example:

IMG_5566.jpeg

IMG_5567.jpeg

This is not the premium auction. This is their world coin auction. They always describe the condition in their premium auctions which is the topic of this thread.

I do now see what you mean and agree and think they should do this with all their auctions. I also agree that I would not buy without a condition description. I am a little lucky that I live in London and so can go to view the coins if ever needed.

Is there anything catching your eye in this current auction where the conditions are described? 

Ah thanks for clarifying that.

I can’t seem to find the premium auction anymore for some reason, but I recall seeing the (ungraded) Gothic Crown 2oz plain edge as one of the lots, and there was no condition description for it.

I didn’t scan the entire set of lots but I will this weekend. 🙂

30 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Ah thanks for clarifying that.

I can’t seem to find the premium auction anymore for some reason, but I recall seeing the (ungraded) Gothic Crown 2oz plain edge as one of the lots, and there was no condition description for it.

I didn’t scan the entire set of lots but I will this weekend. 🙂

It is described as A/FDC which means ‘almost fleur de coin’. It looks good to me but of course they don’t want to say it is perfect if the buyer grades and gets a PR68! 

Spotted a few sovereign's that I could do with for the collection. Is the 18% buyer's premium plus VAT or inclusive of VAT?

12 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Spotted a few sovereign's that I could do with for the collection. Is the 18% buyer's premium plus VAT or inclusive of VAT?

The premiums are exclusive of VAT. So you’re needing to add on 21.6%. That is still better than Heritage and Baldwin St James etc. 

Good point though and an important reminder that if you lose your mind during an auction the £3,500.00 you just spent on a sovereign means you will get an invoice for £4,256.00!