• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign premiums.

Why are older sovereigns like Victoria sovs or Edwards cheaper than modern bullion sovs despite the fact that they’re no longer minted? Whenever I peruse the forum or online dealers I generally find older 19th and 20th century sovs 10-15£ cheaper than a current date or backdate modern sov.

Because Most of new collectors focus on modern coins (they are much easier to “understand” and no research or deep study is required).

And this top pop mania is destroying the market (look what is happening with gillicks sovs in auctions, where people pay thousands gbp for a ms66..

1 hour ago, refero said:

Because Most of new collectors focus on modern coins (they are much easier to “understand” and no research or deep study is required).

And this top pop mania is destroying the market (look what is happening with gillicks sovs in auctions, where people pay thousands gbp for a ms66..

I noticed the other day that the highly graded Gillicks were selling for funny money, crazy collectors.

5 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

I don't think that's the case for Shield sovereign?

Yeah, shield sovs and other special issues obviously sell for more, I was just talking about generic billions sovs.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, refero said:

That’s insane, it literally only takes minutes of research as everything is on the RM website, in a time where knowledge is at the fingertips people are steadfast in their ignorance.

Edited by Shuaib121

What is insane to me is not paying a lot for a top grade but not understanding that

- gillicks never circulated, never melted, never lost in boat accidents; therefore the current population is exactly what stated in manuals. 

- (their) slab process is relatively new and, combining with what said above, there will continuously be new top grade popping from time to time. 

and that of course will affect their value/price 

23 minutes ago, Shuaib121 said:

That’s insane, it literally only takes minutes of research as everything is on the RM website, in a time where knowledge is at the fingertips people are steadfast in their ignorance.

Maybe confidence rather than ignorance. Took me over 2 years before i bought my 1st shield sovereign. Felt like taking a leap of faith buying it.

For simply bullion, I do like QE2s - Gillicks, and up to 1982 if they're the right price (as they're generally in good, uncirculated condition, and the 'gold colour'). I'll pick up the 'modern gold' sovereigns at the right price too.

I also think George V can be good, as they were uncirculated/not used in currency after 1914, and generally still in good condition (unless ex-mount/jewellery etc), and seem to generally have low premiums (at sources I use at least).

Also 'best value' from dealers can be good. I've even picked up some rarities in good condition via this avenue.

My approach is to buy at lowest premium (and is best condition as I can), and even if that means I sell further along the road at a low premium, I'm still going to sell quick as a decent gold sovereign, is a decent gold sovereign. 

I'm no numismatist but most of the early year sovs have mintages in the millions. The modern sovs are in the low tens of thousands - e.g. a 1907 Edward full sov has a mintage of 28,000,000+ across London, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney, whereas a 2007 Lizzie bullion full sov has a mintage of 27,628

Sovereign Mintages - Gold Sovereign & Half Sovereign mintage figures | BullionByPost

Sovereign Information By Year | Chards

Even if 90% of the 1907 Edwards have went overseas, been lost or melted down, there would still be 10 times more 1907s on the market in the UK than 2007s

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative