• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sterling to 9ct conversion estimate

Hi is anyone able to help me work out if im getting shafted by the jeweller or not before i go back to them.. basically if i have a piece of sterling silver jewellery that weighs 43g, and i want to get the same size piece jewellery made up in 9ct gold to replace it - how much 9ct gold weight in grams would you need to make this piece? ive asked AI and it seems to suggest that .9 grams of 9cts needed to make a gram of sterling equivalent weight so thatd be less!? is that accurate? 

just for reference sake, the estimate was given to me that id likely need around 60 grams of scrap 9ct to make the 43grams sterling silver equivalent pieces

bit concerned that jeweller may be pulling a fast one on me and doing me out of a bit of my scrap as id be none the wiser

Wow, that's a complex question.... Gold by volume is almost twice as heavy as silver - so, for example a cubic centimetre of silver would weigh 10.49g and the same in gold would weigh 19.32g. That would be for pure silver and gold.

So you would need 78g of pure gold to make up the same volume as 43g of pure silver

Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver.

9ct gold is 37.5% pure gold - usually alloyed with silver. 

Assuming, in the end product, that 62.5% of it is silver . . . . and that's where i give up.

BUT - gold is heavier than silver so it stands to reason that, regardless of purity, you will need more gold than silver to make an equivalent sized piece. 

4 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Wow, that's a complex question.... Gold by volume is almost twice as heavy as silver - so, for example a cubic centimetre of silver would weigh 10.49g and the same in gold would weigh 19.32g. That would be for pure silver and gold.

So you would need 78g of pure gold to make up the same volume as 43g of pure silver

Assuming, in the end product, that 62.5% of it is silver . . . . and that's where i give up.

BUT - gold is heavier than silver so it stands to reason that, regardless of purity, you will need more gold than silver to make an equivalent sized piece. 

@James32

10 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

ok this makes me feel better about the deal haha, just fyi im basically giving in 63g of scrap 9ct and am having a new wedding band and torc bangle made from those and the current sterling ring and torc i have in sterling weigh 10g and 33g respectively, so im quoted that itll take probably all the 63g 9ct i have to make something close to what i have in silver

come on guys i thought this was a simple one, 33g of this 33g of that bish bash bosh everythings evens and sorted...no? so long as you are telling me im likely to need to put in more gram weight of scrap gold to get the equivalent to the scrap sterling size/weight then thats fine with me, Microsofts all singing all dancing latest chatgpt4 bot couldnt give me a correct answer on this one - literraly said for every 1g of .925 sterling id need 0.9g of 375 gold - which made me think terrible ive been scammed, but maybe not

also is there truth to losing around 3- 4% of the material during the smelting and remaking process? im interested in the chemistry of this if anyone can be arsed - ill be back again tomorrow night for the biology and geology exams for anyone passing tonights advanced maths and chemistry

3 minutes ago, GodsMoney said:

come on guys i thought this was a simple one, 33g of this 33g of that bish bash bosh everythings evens and sorted...no? so long as you are telling me im likely to need to put in more gram weight of scrap gold to get the equivalent to the scrap sterling size/weight then thats fine with me, Microsofts all singing all dancing latest chatgpt4 bot couldnt give me a correct answer on this one - literraly said for every 1g of .925 sterling id need 0.9g of 375 gold - which made me think terrible ive been scammed, but maybe not

Some of the 9ct will end up as waste also ( can't expect them to come out as finished jewellery lol)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip