• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Reccomendations for banking WEBSITE sought (for computer NOT mobile app).

I'm with Lloyds. I can no longer log into my own account without receiving a telephone call from them 'for my security'... It is getting very tiresome.

If I want to send money to someone I have not before, I have to:
1) log on with username & password
2) fetch the telephone to receive a code.
3) wait while a computer tells me a load of cobblers (deliberately making it longer and more difficult) before giving me the code
4) enter the code into their website. At this point I am 'in'.
5) enter new recipients details etc.
6) answer the 'phone AGAIN for a new code (after the needlessly lengthy intro yet again).
7) enter the code, the payment is then made.

As you can see far from ideal. I DID also have their 'app' on my old mobile 'phone that I still have from when I used to use one. I needed to use that when I wanted to pay in a cheque as that cannot be done via their website, however they have now decided my mobile is Jailbroken (It isn't) and flatly refuse to let me use the app, their 'Customer Service' told me to "get it repaired at a shop". There is nothing wrong with the phones operating system, it's probably just now 'obsolete'.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who also prefers to use a banks website rather than an 'App', and whether such a thing still exists as a user-friendly bank.
I'm convinced they will all eventually go the same way as the global system wants everyone to use a mobile device and they hate it when you don't. But, if I could hold out a while longer I should be glad.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

6 minutes ago, Petra said:

Nationwide… never had any issues with the. Using a card and card reader, log in, pay someone, log out max 3 - 4 minutes🤔

Thanks. What's the card reader for?
EDIT I see now it's for logging on instead of a passcode.

Edited by Earthmetal

occasionally I have bought off a web site and had to go through using the card reader, however this is them checking everything ok and isn’t really a hassle and again, doesn’t take long and is only occasionally.

I see Nationwide do current accounts, I didn't realise that. They also have an 8% savings account.

Well, Petra, with the total absence of any other advice, it looks like I'm going Nationwide!

I've been banking with HSBC since 2004.  Their retail operation is .. better than it used to be.  However, they're now nagging me to start using the app, and I really don't want that part of my critical infrastructure to be dependent on a mobile phone.  Mobile software just isn't carrier-grade anymore, and there's really no SLA about mobile comms.  Five-Nines was a term actually coined for AT&T's SLA in their '60s vintage consent decree, but there's no way any mobile based software is going to hit that level of service, or anywhere near.

I had to get a non-connected 2FA token for my business account, as their banking app was so unreliable.  I got locked out of my business account on several occasions, once for 3 weeks.  The trouble with mobile software is that it's got an entire culture based about cheap, disposable consumer apps, and an unreliable network at its foundations.  There's no culture of even attempting to make good quality mobile apps.  Software in general is 💩 but mobile software is even more 💩.

At least my little banking tokens work and produce their random numbers when I go to log into the account.  

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

33 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I've been banking with HSBC since 2004.  Their retail operation is .. better than it used to be.  However, they're now nagging me to start using the app, and I really don't want that part of my critical infrastructure to be dependent on a mobile phone.  Mobile software just isn't carrier-grade anymore, and there's really no SLA about mobile comms.  Five-Nines was a term actually coined for AT&T's SLA in their '60s vintage consent decree, but there's no way any mobile based software is going to hit that level of service, or anywhere near.

I had to get a non-connected 2FA token for my business account, as their banking app was so unreliable.  I got locked out of my business account on several occasions, once for 3 weeks.  The trouble with mobile software is that it's got an entire culture based about cheap, disposable consumer apps, and an unreliable network at its foundations.  There's no culture of even attempting to make good quality mobile apps.  Software in general is 💩 but mobile software is even more 💩.

At least my little banking tokens work and produce their random numbers when I go to log into the account.  

Cheers. I actually understood the first three sentences.

6 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

Cheers. I actually understood the first three sentences.

TL;DR: Mobile software is c**p and will always be c**p because of the nature of the platform and the industry.  If you have the option of doing your banking without being reliant on a mobile phone, take it.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 minute ago, Silverlocks said:

TL;DR: Mobile software is c**p and will always be c**p because of the nature of the platform and the industry.

Do you use the HSBC website? How do you gain access?

4 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

You can get a dohickey that looks like a little calculator and lets you key in a PIN from which it will generate a random number that changes over time.  This lets you do two factor authentication and is not dependent on mobile phone infrastructure.  If you ask for one at a branch they will give it to you and help you set it up.

The batteries are built in and last a few years, so you have to replace it periodically.  It's interesting to note that I replaced mine just around the end of last year, and the folks at the branch didn't even try to sell me on the mobile app.  This suggests that enough of their punters find the app to be troublesome that they just don't go there.

I can use mine from Indonesia.  As long as you can actually reach the website from a browser, it will work.  

Edited by Silverlocks

4 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

You can get a token that looks like a little calculator and lets you key in a PIN from which it will generate a random number that changes over time.  This lets you do two factor authentication and is not dependent on mobile phone infrastructure.  If you ask for one at a branch they will give it to you and help you set it up.

I can use mine from Indonesia.  As long as you can actually reach the website from a browser, it will work.

Cheers. Might be worth attempting to speak with a human at Lloyds to ask if they have similar.

Just now, Earthmetal said:

Cheers. Might be worth attempting to speak with a human at Lloyds to ask if they have similar.

I would not be surprised to find that they have a segment of their customers who refuse to use a mobile app for the same reasons that I gave up on the tech.

4 hours ago, Earthmetal said:

My business account is with HSBC, got locked out on line first week, never been on since. Terrible even try to get anyone on the phone and the local branch was useless. Got better things to do than literally spend hours on the phone to some idiot in a call centre. Terrible service.

I'm also currently with Lloyds, have been for years...

This may change in the future if they start:
a) with the shenanigans @Earthmetal mentions or,
b) they close the next 'local' branch (our towns branch was closed a few years back).

I opened an account with Nationwide recently, partly for the current account switching deal but also as a back-up if I need to leave Lloyds.

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

1 hour ago, CaptCaveMan said:

I'm also currently with Lloyds, have been for years...

This may change in the future if they start:
a) with the shenanigans @Earthmetal mentions or,
b) they close the next 'local' branch (our towns branch was closed a few years back).

I opened an account with Nationwide recently, partly for the current account switching deal but also as a back-up if I need to leave Lloyds.

I assume you use a mobile app then? If you're using their website then you must surely have experience the same problem?

40 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

I assume you use a mobile app then? If you're using their website then you must surely have experience the same problem?

Yep, got fed up logging onto their site then before you know it, you have to log on again after making a cuppa as you time out after a minute 🙄

I was on an iPhone 4S until mid last year so didn’t have the choice - family got fed up with me going on about how many they get through vs. my old one so bought me a newer one to shut me up 😆

More important for me though is if they close the next nearest branch, at that point I’m oout.

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

• 4 months later...

To update this, Nationwide were no use, they require the applicant to have a mobile phone :huh: As do Starling, as do Monzo.

I’ve been with nationwide for years and never needed a mobile phone🤔 never had any problems… are great🤔😮

1 hour ago, Petra said:

I’ve been with nationwide for years and never needed a mobile phone🤔 never had any problems… are great🤔😮

I imagine the requirement has been added since. Most of these changes are quite recent.
For instance I had two Ebay accounts linked to one bank account for years until I lost access to one recently due to them not being able to text me a security code... I opened a new account only to discover it's no longer possible to have two with one bank, now I need to open a second current account specifically for the second ebay account. Hence me trying now as I need to access the money they owe me. :(

I think 2FA is the bug bear you're trying to avoid

Sadly Two factor authentication is more or less mandatory these days for banking, credit cards, HMRC.

Which is an inconvenience I'll agree but it is there to keep things a bit more secure and safe which isn't a bad thing 

Maybe just have a specific 2FA mobile you keep tethered and with your laptop or pc just for your banking needs ? 

9 hours ago, Paul said:

I think 2FA is the bug bear you're trying to avoid

Sadly Two factor authentication is more or less mandatory these days for banking, credit cards, HMRC.

Which is an inconvenience I'll agree but it is there to keep things a bit more secure and safe which isn't a bad thing 

Maybe just have a specific 2FA mobile you keep tethered and with your laptop or pc just for your banking needs ? 

I'm reluctant to give in any sooner than I have to. I bet there's still an online bank somewhere that doesn't require a mobile, it's just finding the bu**er!

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use