• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tokyo Olympics 1964 Gold .900 Medal 104g ???

Dear All, 

Just been offered this monster, but after nearly two hours of research I’m coming up with nothing. When I say nothing I mean I’ve found the same medal but in much smaller weights. Has anyone ever come across one which weighs 103.76 to be exact in weight? I’m seeing it in person tomorrow morning, so just trying to get as much info as I can.

Thanks in advance 

F9D7D66E-AFE3-4A78-980D-50E98D59C5A8.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Organics said:

Yep 👍. Seen that already thanks. However Numista nor any auction house or dealer has ever shown this weight 🤔

Biggest weight I seen was 7g I didn’t do a mega extensive search but found none anywhere near the weight you suggested.

Edited by Sovhead
Typo

2 hours ago, Olivard said:

https://www.olympic-museum.de/w_medals/olympic-games-winner-medal-1964.php

This says the gold medal is 103 gr of gilt silver but doesn't have your design.

I did think of that and it’s still a possibility. However if you look closely under the O of Tokyo, you’ll see 900 stamped and what looks like a slice of pizza, which I can only assume is their assay mark. Don’t think they’d do that on a gilt/plated medal would they? 🤔🤔🤔

I just hope my Sigma will read deep enough if it is plated 🤞🤞🤞

2 hours ago, Sovhead said:

Biggest weight I seen was 7g I didn’t do a mega extensive search but found none anywhere near the weight you suggested.

I found one at 17g but that’s the highest. If that weight is right and it is solid and not gilt/plated, do you think there’s much demand for a medal this size and weight? I’m thinking it’s going to be tough to move on in the future 🤔

8 hours ago, Organics said:

I found one at 17g but that’s the highest. If that weight is right and it is solid and not gilt/plated, do you think there’s much demand for a medal this size and weight? I’m thinking it’s going to be tough to move on in the future 🤔

Personally I wouldn’t touch it.

It states that it is minted by an Italian Mint. Go on their website and see if you can find this medal.  

Numismatica Italiana

The same way that you can not find much information on the medal, will be the same for any potential buyer in the future. 

When in doubt, always check Chards websites as they have seen the most gold coins and medals.

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

@Sovhead, @Spyder. Thank you for your responses and had already made the decision late last night that I wasn’t going to buy it. However I wanted to see it anyway early this morning, and was so, so tempted when I held it. It’s an impressive lump of gold, but agree wholeheartedly with your feedback 🙏🙏🙏

2 minutes ago, Organics said:

@Sovhead, @Spyder. Thank you for your responses and had already made the decision late last night that I wasn’t going to buy it. However I wanted to see it anyway early this morning, and was so, so tempted when I held it. It’s an impressive lump of gold, but agree wholeheartedly with your feedback 🙏🙏🙏

Use the money for sovs u can’t go wrong mate.

I'm not sure it's much help, but I do know that recent Olympic Gold medals (2000 onwards, and probably earlier) are mostly made of silver with some gold over the top.  They are not made of solid gold.

So the silver gilt information may well be completely accurate.

1 minute ago, Sovhead said:

Use the money for sovs u can’t go wrong mate.

I have so many sovereigns already that I was trying to diversify my stack. Maybe that was a risk too big though 👍

2 minutes ago, Organics said:

I have so many sovereigns already that I was trying to diversify my stack. Maybe that was a risk too big though 👍

Buy a wee bit of world gold then that’s what I’ve done and a couple of bars here and there.

The Swiss francs and French roosters I went for them and some American Eagles lovely coins.

30 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

Buy a wee bit of world gold then that’s what I’ve done and a couple of bars here and there.

The Swiss francs and French roosters I went for them and some American Eagles lovely coins.

We’re on the same wave length, as that’s exactly what I did 👍. I bought A 1987 American Eagle proof 1 oz and 1/2 oz set (No COA though) and a Macau 1000 Patacas 1/2 oz gold proof and 925 silver set. Interestingly minted by Pobjoy and not The Royal Mint 👌👌👌

562669CB-5505-46CF-847F-32879B0C4B01.jpeg

76AC1ED4-DBBF-4085-8AC3-96FA51BFF111.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Organics said:

We’re on the same wave length, as that’s exactly what I did 👍. I bought A 1987 American Eagle proof 1 oz and 1/2 oz set (No COA though) and a Macau 1000 Patacas 1/2 oz gold proof and 925 silver set. Interestingly minted by Pobjoy and not The Royal Mint 👌👌👌

562669CB-5505-46CF-847F-32879B0C4B01.jpeg

76AC1ED4-DBBF-4085-8AC3-96FA51BFF111.jpeg

Very nice mate I like them 👍🏻

Ask about for the COA lots of folk have them graded and don’t bother with it I done similar for a 1/10th proof I got on here and got the COA for a fiver on eBay.

1 minute ago, Sovhead said:

Very nice mate I like them 👍🏻

Ask about for the COA lots of folk have them graded and don’t bother with it I done similar for a 1/10th proof I got on here and got the COA for a fiver on eBay.

Will do. Thanks 🙏  Couldn’t also resist three more scarce Shield sovereigns and an Australian 4 coin proof nugget set too 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Organics said:

Will do. Thanks 🙏  Couldn’t also resist three more scarce Shield sovereigns and an Australian 4 coin proof nugget set too 🤦‍♂️

It’s what we do mate 🤣🤣