• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Etiquette and protecting self at LCS

Hello,

I just started buying silver (maples mostly) and I will be making my first larger purchase tomorrow. I am curious if someone is buying say 4 tubes and some fractional gold, what is considered rude? Do you check every tube or just trust that they are good? What is considered normal to protect yourself from buying something fake, specifically for a beginner? Are there questions I should ask? Its possible I am just being paranoid but I have already lost money (a whole 40 cents) on some quarter rolls I got from the bank to search when I found someone had stuffed nickels into them instead of quarters.  

23 hours ago, moose01 said:

Hello,

I just started buying silver (maples mostly) and I will be making my first larger purchase tomorrow. I am curious if someone is buying say 4 tubes and some fractional gold, what is considered rude? Do you check every tube or just trust that they are good? What is considered normal to protect yourself from buying something fake, specifically for a beginner? Are there questions I should ask? Its possible I am just being paranoid but I have already lost money (a whole 40 cents) on some quarter rolls I got from the bank to search when I found someone had stuffed nickels into them instead of quarters.  

I don't think that there's any harm in asking to see every coin - as long as you are polite, cordial and a genuine buyer (i.e., don't ask up front, ask for the tubes/amount you want to buy, then ask the question - shows you aren't a tire kicker), any seller would be silly to show any disdain for you just wanting to inspect what it is you're buying. Most sellers will want to show you they are real silver coins, so that you buy more from them.

If there is any pushback from  the seller, just walk away or query why this is (maybe they're sealed for a reason, in which case, ask for just normal bullion coins). Just bear in mind that, if bullion, there is no expectation of "good" condition - ie.e, bumps/lumps/dings/some milk-spotting/clouding is to be expected.

It's like anything in life, manner cost you nought - so both buyer and seller should remain professional, cordial and friendly.

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.

I think you have pretty much nailed it Lyrinn. 

One thought: Many modern silver coins, both collectible and bullion come these days direct from the mint with damage. This won’t affect bullion stacking value long term much (although I do have an opinion on that - another time 🙂) but given the choice I’d sooner buy damage free items if possible. 

Just ask about the security features on Maples, American Eagles, Britannias, etc. If the coin shop is worth its salt they will be more than happy to discuss the details about each coin. You might have a bigger problem getting them to shut up rather than not getting enough info!

If it's regular bullion they won't have a problem tipping the tube for you and at least doing a ping test on each coin

If you explain you're new to stacking and just want to see how it works, the shop will be delighted to show off their knowledge and have you come back to their store

It might be an idea to check out the security features online before you go to the shop. The security features and distinguishing marks may even influence your decision on what to buy. If Britannias (2021 and later) are cheap and aren't milked they are the best bullion coin available. Maples and Eagles are also excellent choices in the USA depending on the price

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

On 12/01/2024 at 14:43, moose01 said:

Hello,

As has been said, if you're polite and apologetic and explain you're new to this then no shop should have any problem with that. And if you ask how they check the coins then ask them to show you their techniques on the coins you are buying then you would hope that any shop with nothing to hide would be more than happy to do so - the bullion market now compared to 18 months ago is absolutely dead so they should be doing anything to get a sale!