• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Foreign gold coins vs Uk gold coins

Chrissingy86

Hello all, I’m in need of some advice before I make a couple of buys this afternoon. Is there any difference when it comes to re sell value in the UK between native gold coins and European coins such as Francs? Would I be offered a better price per gram for say a Sovereign than I would a foreign coin of similar content and gold purity? I’m strictly in it for the gold content in the long run and not the numismatic value even though some of the foreign coins are stunning, but I have only UK bullion. If anyone has had the experience or has an opinion that could help I’d be grateful to hear it.

Many thanks. 

Have a look at the "Sell" section of bullion websites. They say what they pay, mostly based on gold content.

Don't forget CGT.  Nearly all UK gold coins are CGT exempt.

Most people on here seem to like sovereigns if your planning selling here.

Preowned one once brits will get you good price per gold content if selling to a dealer.

The foreign coin has a much more limited audience here and so you can get a decent purchase price. I would not buy from online dealers on these coins as they usually add a much higher premium as compared to a sovereign and would pay less buying back.

If you want foreign coins, your best bet would be to put a wanted listing and you are likely to get them pretty close to spot or plus 1%

Never Chase and Never Regret 

Sovereigns are CGT exempt. I'd say make the bulk of your collection sovereigns and add some foreign ones for diversity. Branch mint sovereigns don't count as foreign, by the way

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.