• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What Silver series Collections?

Silverr

8 hours ago, Panda6Pack said:

Lastly, buy from reputable sources. The forum is full of great pieces and trustworthy sellers. Unfortunately there are also sellers who circumvent HMRC and don't pay the VAT on imported silver. I have always done my best to import my silver legally paying what I owe. There is no harm in asking questions. I tend to lean towards supporting "civilian" forum members such as myself, and then online dealers (with websites and such), who sponsor the forum. Give the little guy a chance, lol. 

TBH matey, the VAT free sellers on here dont generally sell what you sell, you sell higher end items which are great BTW but for great deals on here sometimes the VAT pirates are the way to go, I wouldnt diss those sellers as they are members who are in it for the same reason as we all are...

horses for courses as they say... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

I am starting a full run best grade slabbed Kookaburra collection. Kookaburra’s definitely have a rabbit hole of Privy Marks, 10oz, 1 Kilo etc.   I tend to like Perth Mint products   Good quality, low mintages, and I like how the design changes yearly.

I also want to start a Libertad collection. I need to spend far more time studying that market.  

21 hours ago, Gordy said:

TBH matey, the VAT free sellers on here dont generally sell what you sell, you sell higher end items which are great BTW but for great deals on here sometimes the VAT pirates are the way to go, I wouldnt diss those sellers as they are members who are in it for the same reason as we all are...

horses for courses as they say... 

VAT pirates, lol...nice. 

I know this is going off topic of the author of the post. My apologies.

Here's the thing ... These pirates devalue silver, they set expectations that in the long run will discourage buyers. True that some of my pieces are usually higher end but I'm seeing lots of the same pieces. I'd also have to disagree that they do it for the same reasons. They're just in it for a quick buck...uhm...pound... I've seen them come and go like a bad hair day. Flood the market with cheap silver and poof. Gone. Anyway... I'm just ranting. Too much stress in my life already to worry. And fir those of you follow and purchase from me... I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have no idea what it means to me, and the good you are doing. 🙏🙏🙏

🚩 Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/StackingUK . More content coming. Please Like & Subscribe.
Please be sure to FOLLOW me on The Silver Forum to not miss great deals or to just find that coin that got away. 

On 01/11/2023 at 10:42, Panda6Pack said:

If it weren't for my current personal situation, I'd get you started on some winners. 

But let me leave some advice. 
First and maybe won't go over well but - stay away from Royal Mint if you intend to sell on. I've been looking through past sets from them and they are almost all spotted. Real shame. 
Stay away from high mintage sets. Anything over 50,000 total mintage will bring a lesser return. 
Get comments and reviews on strikes. In other words, how clear is the image? How much detail is in the background and foreground? 
Off the top of my head - Can't go wrong with Perth Mint and Royal Australian Mint as long as you like the subject matter. 
                                          Pressburg Mint has awesome designs but the bullion version are not struck very well so buy the proof-like
                                          Germania Mint has awesome quality but I'm afraid I'm not too keen on their direction (Runes and Witchcraft series - not into the demonic)
                                          There are tons of U.S. small mints doing awesome work, but again, watch the strikes and buy them legally ! 
                                          New Zealand Mint (mostly Niue legal tender) - not so good on strikes. Compare the DC Superheros with Perth Mint Marvel Series)
                                          Fiji Legal Tender - a bit more pricey but Oh My (see my Cat on a recent post) - they are usually sealed as well as encapsulated. 
                                          China government coins - politics aside - best coins you can get. Super quality and design. 
                                          KOMSCO and Today Ltd. South Korea is on fire! New series from KOMSCO - Princess Series - get them !
                                          There is more but would take too ling to write, lol

Quick word on condition - 
           Patina and toning - This is where you see colours from yellow and browns to purple to dark brown. It's fine. If you like the coin, then buy it. This can easily be cleaned frictionless  (no touching). Personally I would not clean them however. 
           Blemishes and "milk spots" - Unless you are in love with the coin, leave it. White "smears" or spots cannot be removed without damaging the coin and image. I've experimented on cheap coins  and any method will leave varying degrees of spots and will leave varying degrees of scratches. Also be aware that spotting can happen at any time. Put it away clean and perfect and a month later it will have spots (Royal Mint) which make you cry. It cannot be prevented. 
           Scratches - Again. unless you are in love with the coin, leave it. Unless you are a master precious metals polishing guru, scratches will not go away. 

Lastly, buy from reputable sources. The forum is full of great pieces and trustworthy sellers. Unfortunately there are also sellers who circumvent HMRC and don't pay the VAT on imported silver. I have always done my best to import my silver legally paying what I owe. There is no harm in asking questions. I tend to lean towards supporting "civilian" forum members such as myself, and then online dealers (with websites and such), who sponsor the forum. Give the little guy a chance, lol. 

But the most important piece of advice .... If you like it - and it moves you, buy it. 

Hope this helps. 

Pretty much this. But I do have one thing to add:

BE WARY OF WHERE YOU BUY. Set up accounts on Temu, AliExpress and all the Chinese retailer sites and keep an eye on what is regularly faked. Learn to spot them, and avoid like the plague. Gold, silver and platinum are all regularly faked. I’m regularly offered fakes and once you’ve seen a couple you can spot them from a mile off. Get a rare earth magnet and learn what real silver ‘sticky slide’ looks like.

This site is great and a lot of clues up people on it. EBay can catch you right out if you’re not on your game.

it’s not hard to do your due diligence, but many don’t.

for what it’s worth, odd ball coins are often never faked and as such can make a good investment as long as you pay accordingly as they are less desirable. Brits, Roo’s, maples, eagles, pandas are all regularly copied. And as I say, some are relatively good. Pay attention. Weight and size are a good indicator - density never lies. As is magnet test for silver.