• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading: Cleaned (1846 Sovereign)

thanosgr

I was searching for a Sovereign to buy, and I found one that was rated as cleaned.

I have not heard of that ever again, but as i show "Among the most common reasons for a coin to receive Details Grading is unskilled and improper cleaning."

I wanted to know how bad (or not?) this grading is for such a coin and how much could limit its price.

Below you can also see some photos if that helps

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_2.png

So - I  have seen graded Sovs when it (cleaning) was not visible to the naked eye, through to coins that have been polished or aggressively cleaned.  

I suspect I have seen one or two cleaned Shields, but they are good enough for me.

@GoldDiggerDave May be able to offer a more informed opinion

Not my circus, not my monkeys

The biggest issue I have with this is how they discern that a coin has in fact been cleaned. Don't get me wrong, if it stinks of pledge and shines like the midday sun in August then yeah, okay, but if a loupe shows up some whorling in the fields potentially done many years prior to inspection how can they be sure that was a cleaning attempt and not wear through use? 

🌞

On 22/09/2023 at 19:52, dicker said:

So - I  have seen graded Sovs when it (cleaning) was not visible to the naked eye, through to coins that have been polished or aggressively cleaned.  

I suspect I have seen one or two cleaned Shields, but they are good enough for me.

@GoldDiggerDave May be able to offer a more informed opinion

I've got a few Victorian sovs that have definitely been polished - if the original finish is worn off, then sometimes it's not obvious if the sov has wear after being polished.  It will show up better on photos, though.  Mostly they still look fine to the naked eye and I'm less stressed about these as they're in grades where you wouldn't bother to get them slabbed.

image.thumb.jpeg.c57ac1b84a02157e9c2de031ad61cbcf.jpeg

1880S not polished

image.thumb.jpeg.642f770d7064659139fc3668087bbcb9.jpeg

1884M, probably polished but worn

image.thumb.jpeg.ba7d5a603b3f49c78cdc7ef3209aeee0.jpeg

1883M where you can see polished fields.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

15 hours ago, Arganto said:

The biggest issue I have with this is how they discern that a coin has in fact been cleaned. Don't get me wrong, if it stinks of pledge and shines like the midday sun in August then yeah, okay, but if a loupe shows up some whorling in the fields potentially done many years prior to inspection how can they be sure that was a cleaning attempt and not wear through use? 

🌞

The trick to exposing hairline scratches is to view a coin from a tilted angle while exposing it to a bright source of light. Hairline scratches which arise from cleaning most often run parallel to one another. Vertical or horizontal as a result of coins being rubbed via a back and forth motion; whereas swirls arise from rubbing via a swirling motion. Scratches which arise due to wear are erratic and show no discerning pattern. Coins cleaned with corrosive chemicals often show pitting.

The image bellow shows a coin that was cleaned via a vertical back and forth rubbing motion. I gave the scoundrel dealer I bought it from who listed it as uncirculated and didn’t disclose the coin had been cleaned a well deserved one star review on every review site I could think of.

IMG_6850.jpeg

Edited by Ignorant