• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Total newbie, question about grading silver coin.

HoyaGuru

6 minutes ago, HoyaGuru said:

Hi folk, just signed up. Started getting into silver about a month ago, I've bought about 100 ounces so far. Mentioned to my Mom that I was doing this, she said she has some silver from my Grandfather who passed away in 1974. She sent them to me, there are a bunch of half dollars, quarters, the usual, and three silver dollars, a 1921, 1924, and 1889. All three of them are in really good shape, and I've been considering sending them to be graded. The 1889 looks perfect to me, I've been comparing it to pics online from PCGS, the same coin others have had graded, and I think this coin is better than anything I've seen. But, I'm a realist, I'm just dipping a toe into this hobby, and I'm guessing everybody thinks they have the perfect coin when they start out. Can I post a picture or two out here, and get some opinions? If this is not a forum for something like this, I apologize, just let me know and I won't post anything like this again.

Post away buddy. Plenty of experienced forum members will be able to help you out 👍🏼

7 hours ago, HoyaGuru said:

OK, here they are. Sorry, my phone's camera isn't the best in the world. Worst think I can see is some very fine scratches, but I've seen pretty high graded coins with worse.

1889 front.jpg

The fine lines may be evidence of cleaning.

Hey Welcome to The silver Forum.

Don't worry about posting pics and asking questions, its what the forum is for. It might be worth popping a hello message in the following link https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/10-welcome-new-members/. You should be greeted by the forum owners and gives other members a chance to welcome you.

The pics of your coins show them to be in very good condition with little wear. Though I agree with @Zhorro it looks like they have had a robust clean with the fine lines around the detailing. If that's the case, I would think that it would effect the grading quite a bit as the fields are quite scratched from the cleaning. Though I am no expert.

Hope you explore the forum and find it to be a welcoming and supportive place to learn.

Thanks! I've been on a crash course learning the ins and outs of silver, looks like if these have been cleaned, it won't be worth sending them in to be graded. Oh well, figured it would be something like that. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out!