• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silverware vs. Bullion

DTL1982

I buy govt issued silver coins (both bullion and old circulated) as do most on here. In addition to being a store of wealth, they can often be beautiful to look at as part of a collection. I would say I’m a collector more so than a stacker in that sense. I’m not prepping for Armageddon; I just enjoy the beauty of silver coins (and gold of course) and enjoy collecting them. The fact that they hold some intrinsic value in the form of precious metals is important as they will always be worth SOMETHING even if it’s just spot price. Other “collectibles” often wind up being worthless after a fad dies down but coins are an exception. 

That said, I’m curious as to why sterling flatware doesn’t get more love from the overall silver community. I realize it’s only .925 fine but it is still sellable (often times close to spot and sometimes more for desirable patterns). Also, it’s practical. It’s something that can be used and enjoyed everyday so there is the usage value of it as well. All our flatware is sterling and we use it daily, put it in the dishwater, etc. So even if I needed to sell some of it years from now and only got spot for it, I was using and enjoying it for possibly decades as well. 

With the extremely high premiums on many silver coins, I was thinking about this lately. Preowned silverware can often be found with less premiums than coinage/govt bullion and you get the added value of being able to use it. We all needs forks and spoons after all. 

Edited by DTL1982

34 minutes ago, Mobius said:

I would always choose silver flatware/Holloware over bullion coins or bars, if I can find it at the right price (and there's no VAT).

If I was in the market for a kilo of silver I'd buy a large Victorian salver👍

I think eventually some of the Silver Bullion Stackers will see the light.

If Silver takes off the only thing that matters is how many ounces you have got and not how pure it is or if it has a picture of a Panda or a Kookaburra on it.

The only Coins I stack are Pre 1947 that can be bought for around spot. 

I also think the argument for buying CGT free Silver Bullion coins is moot, I use the Gold/Silver ratio so my scrap Sterling wouldn't necessarily go up much in price and trigger a Capital gain if the ratio dropped in my favour.

Edited by FriedrichVonHayek

1 hour ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

I think eventually some of the Silver Bullion Stackers will see the light.

If Silver takes off the only thing that matters is how many ounces you have got and not how pure it is or if it has a picture of a Panda or a Kookaburra on it.

I do quite like the Pandas and have a few in my collection but again, it’s for collecting rather than thinking they’ll make me rich. 

1 hour ago, Mobius said:

Wow!

19 hours ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

I also think the argument for buying CGT free Silver Bullion coins is moot

Last year the CGT threshold was £12000. This year £6000 and next year £3000. The way it's going it may become relevant to everyone. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-mentor/article/guide-capital-gains-tax/

4 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Last year the CGT threshold was £12000. This year £6000 and next year £3000. The way it's going it may become relevant to everyone. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-mentor/article/guide-capital-gains-tax/

The Government are determined to keep the Welfare State going as long as possible by taxing the productive to give to the feckless.

CGT coming down and income tax rates frozen until 2028 are designed to extract as much cash as possible from the Workers.