• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed 2009 1oz Somali Elephants (Silver)

NumisNewbie

Are people interested in these coins? Seeing some crazy prices at the moment ($99.99 on APMEX etc), if they can be found at all.... I've got 10 I could let go but I want to be fair to myself and the forum so I'll say £50 each plus postage. No deals, sorry. The coins are pristine, with no milk spots. All will come with capsules.

If anyone's interested just let me know. Cheers! 

34 minutes ago, NumisNewbie said:

Are people interested in these coins? Seeing some crazy prices at the moment ($99.99 on APMEX etc), if they can be found at all.... I've got 10 I could let go but I want to be fair to myself and the forum so I'll say £50 each plus postage. No deals, sorry. The coins are pristine, with no milk spots. All will come with capsules.

If anyone's interested just let me know. Cheers! 

Not to interfere in your business, Apmex are not necessarily the benchmark of competitive coin prices.
If you had posted "for sale" I would not be adding the following but just got a quote ( €40 ) from a well known German supplier -

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 21.36.58.png

3 hours ago, Silvergun said:

Quick view

1 oz silver ELEPHANT 2009

IN STOCK

36,39 € from Goldsilver.be

Thanks. Whenever I google "2009 Somali 1oz Silver Elephant" I always go at least 5 pages deep but never come up with those numbers. Even ma-shops.de -where I bought them all way back when- has pricing closer to what I quoted as well as hefty postage. You are all obviously better internet sleuths than I am.

OK so does anyone have a better offer than goldsilber.de? With their 'safe shipping' option http://goldsilver.be/en/content/1-livraison equivalent to RM 1st Class Signed For, it's £46.05 to get it to the UK according to Google's non commercial exchange rate. Add say a speculative 3% for credit /debit/Paypal and we're looking at £47.43. My £52 with postage compares reasonably, I think. Obviously we can't be sure what the retail exchange rate would be but I doubt it's less than 3%.

And all of a sudden I feel a bit less of a rip off merchant...

Still waiting for details of Pete's "well known German supplier".

This all brings up another couple of points about these coins. There seems to be a divergence between the price they go for in English speaking countries (UK/US/Can/Aus) and non English speaking ones. Why should that be so? They are German produced coins after all.

Which brings us to the real elephant in the room -pun intended- that the Somali Republic... doesn't actually exist. Hasn't done since 1969. In fact the Government of what was once the Somali Republic has asked the Germans several times to stop producing the coin but have been ignored, the makers citing some deal made with a previous regime but never quite producing the paperwork to back up the claim. 

In fact it shouldn't really be called a "coin" at all, should it? It's not legal tender anywhere. Never was, as it didn't circulate even when the country did exist. It should be classed a round really. A unique one, for a country that no longer exists and was only ever around for 9 years!

Of course the current nation is only 4 years old and is easy to ignore and push around but it all does seem rather odd to me. Perhaps that why the prices fluctuate so wildly: because we're all so thoroughly confused. 

I'm sure no one is regards you as a rip-off merchant. You were simply guilty of not sufficiently knowing the market in these coins. In general Germany is always the place to go for this type of stuff (I'll lump Belgium in).

I doubt anyone would consider buying one of these from GS.be as a one-off but would probably add it to a larger order to effectively get it post-free, I know I would.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I'm sure no one is regards you as a rip-off merchant. You were simply guilty of not sufficiently knowing the market in these coins. In general Germany is always the place to go for this type of stuff (I'll lump Belgium in).

I doubt anyone would consider buying one of these from GS.be as a one-off but would probably add it to a larger order to effectively get it post-free, I know I would.

Not necessarily: after all I bought them in Germany from https://www.ma-shops.com/?lang=en I don't recall the exact merchant -it was 2008 after all- but going there now throws up wildly divergent pricing. 

It seems a moot point whether you'd get one as a one off or not as part of a larger order. Not everyone's going to do that but sticking to the UK it doesn't seem like many retailers stock them anyway so you'd almost be obliged to do as you say if you wanted one. Which seems a bit, well... ridiculous.

As to the 'rip off merchant' quip: I'm sure no-one does. I have a very particular sense of humour, that's all.

I'm sure if you looked around you could find one for around €40 from Germany with a reasonable postage cost of approx. €5 - 7

Even looking at http://www.gold.de/kaufen/silbermuenzen/somalia-elefant/

finds you https://www.heubach-edelmetalle.de/verkauf/1-unze-somalia-elefant-2009-silber

at €39.37 but with €12 postage to UK   Total £43.43 delivered

If I was looking for just one I'd put a wanted ad on here and some kind soul would probably add one to one of their GS.be orders.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived