• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

State of UK gold coinage in 1868

SidS

I was browsing this morning for some info on another area of British coinage and accidentally stumbled upon this article. It's a bit of a gem and I'd thought I'd share it with any of you who care about the history and use behind sovereigns and half sovereigns. I personally love these academic articles where a contemporary has gone to some trouble to inspect and analyse the currency they found.

Part 2 onwards is fascinating - the quantity by date of sovereigns and halves which were to be found in change from 1817-1867 issues - some are scarcely found. There's a surprising amount of 1841s found - predictably very few of 1819.

1864 make up over a fifth of sovereigns in circulation in 1868!

Also of interest into part 3 and 4 of the article are the percentages found circulating below legal tender weight.

Pg 440 is particularly fascinating. It gives some idea to survival rates in 1868. Bear in mind that many more coins will have been melted since. Perhaps worth comparing with Marsh - to see how they marry up.

Open source so free to download.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2338797

Edited by SidS

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing, I also found the Part I particularly interesting.

For anyone who hasn't read the article, in Part I the author is advocating reducing the weight of the sovereign so that it is equivalent to 25 Francs of the Latin Monetary Union (France et al) . He thought that this would've facilitatated international trade and prevented coins from having to be reminted as they went from the British Empire to the LMU and vice versa.

1 franc = 0.290322581 grams of gold so 25 francs = 7.25806275 grams of gold.

If the proposal would have been adopted and 22ct gold kept, then newly minted sovs would've weighed 7.9179g instead of 7.9881g. Four sovs would then have the same gold content as five Roosters, Vreneli etc.

1 minute ago, Wileyfox said:

Thanks for sharing, I also found the Part I particularly interesting.

For anyone who hasn't read the article, in Part I the author is advocating reducing the weight of the sovereign so that it is equivalent to 25 Francs of the Latin Monetary Union (France et al) . He thought that this would've facilitatated international trade and prevented coins from having to be reminted as they went from the British Empire to the LMU and vice versa.

1 franc = 0.290322581 grams of gold so 25 francs = 7.25806275 grams of gold.

If the proposal would have been adopted and 22ct gold kept, then newly minted sovs would've weighed 7.9179g instead of 7.9881g. Four sovs would then have the same gold content as five Roosters, Vreneli etc.

I did read that as well. It would have been the LMU+

The euro before the euro but unlike the modern currency, an actual solid money system.