• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

TIL - Silver Brits were previously supplied in sheets

Whilst the Britannia was manufactured in .958 silver the standard of the coins was brilliant uncirculated (they were still sold as bullion) and dealers would get them individually sealed (at least the dealers i used did). To maximise profits the RM changed the manufacturing process with the switch to .999 and, somehow, managed to con people into accepting the new bullion coin definition (zero quality control as opposed to metal content) that is common today.

The BU Britannias now sold by the RM are of the same quality as the old 'bullion' coins of yesterday - but sold with a hefty premium. 😕

I suppose the .958 coins were more for collectors than stackers...

12 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Whilst the Britannia was manufactured in .958 silver the standard of the coins was brilliant uncirculated (they were still sold as bullion) and dealers would get them individually sealed (at least the dealers i used did). To maximise profits the RM changed the manufacturing process with the switch to .999 and, somehow, managed to con people into accepting the new bullion coin definition (zero quality control as opposed to metal content) that is common today.

The BU Britannias now sold by the RM are of the same quality as the old 'bullion' coins of yesterday - but sold with a hefty premium. 😕

I suppose the .958 coins were more for collectors than stackers...

These would be 999 though I believe. 2013 was the first year they switched to pure silver I think, so an interesting crossover perhaps where they're pure Brits but on the older manufacturing process.

Have just remembered that a friend of mine who previously collected the Britannias stopped at this time. The reason - he was miffed that they changed the size of the coins and the .999s didn't fit in his custom made holders. 😵 The change in quality was a big deal at the time and the RM tried to blame it on the use of .999 silver over .958 (stating it was softer and damaged more easily). The reality was the manufacturing process changed to accommodate higher production runs rather than the silver content. Britannias are now treated as circulating coins by the Mint... but priced as collector coins. 

When the Royal Mint issued its first runs of this coin in these flimsy sheets it was almost impossible to obtain a coin that didn't have lots of abrasions on Lizzie's cheek.
I bought around 100 coins and might have seen 2 that were acceptable.
Some regular coin dealers on eBay were even adding a disclaimer in their description warning of significant abrasions - think of ice hockey at the goalie.
Really shocking quality and compounded when many people ( lemmings copy & paste ) blamed the scuffs as rubbing inside the tube.
Ha - total bollocks when you have each coin in its own cell in a flimsy plastic sheet.
The scuffs were attributed to a hopper feed that was causing severe abrasions.
Later in the year the quality improved, meaning acceptable, but not necessarily scratch free.
The mirror polish highlighted all imperfections.