• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

South America / Ecuador Gold & Silver

Hi there looking for feedback on gold and silver in Ecuador , where to get , what is available , mint wise , getting precious metals in and out , would appreciate insight , experiences and information 

thank you 

I don't have much experience in Ecuador per se, but to my knowledge they produce commemorative coins and sterling silver coins. I wouldn't know where to buy them as I've only heard of them. In other countries in South America, you can buy gold from the stock market which means you need a bank account in the country you're located in (usually involves becoming a citizen), and you have to buy a minimum of 250g of gold to withdraw a 250g bar.

Some countries still produce commemorative coins but they celebrate specific contemporary or historical events/coins. I would say the best place is to look on the Central Bank's (or National Bank's) website for the country you're looking to get bullion from. Sometimes checking their Ministry of Tourism website could be of help. Google Chrome or Brave Browser have a function that translates websites. You might be able to find coin collecting stores and they might have the occasional historical coin, which would be a nice pickup.

Thing is you don't really know unless you live there and every S. American country is different. There is a high probability many locals don't even know you can buy gold and silver bullion/coinage. 

If you are travelling there and expect to bring something back, I recommend not spending large amounts and trying to fly it back over. I've never been to Ecuador myself so I can be wrong, but shiny attracts attention even from airport security in a couple South American countries. I know in Brazil they didn't care, surprisingly, but Argentina did, for example. However it might just be the day, or terminal, as I've heard of people who haven't had problems in Argentina. Just make sure you have paperwork. Ask for receipts, etc.

I hope this rant is of any help. I'm just able to give general information unfortunately.

Edited by stackerp5

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.